Friday 19 December 2014

Forget sleep

I've been having insomnia for the past... Week. I think. Well it started in Tuesday actually, it's not really the inability to fall asleep but more of waking up at every hour of your sleep kinda thing. Sometimes I'll wake up halfway and won't go back to sleep. It's pretty annoying, because I will oversleep and feel pretty restless throughout the day. I'm not sure why but it's kind of a normal thing for me to get a few episodes of insomnia, that will go away after a while.

One of the worst insomnia cases I've had was the last few months in Singapore last year. It was so bad that I didn't sleep at all throughout the night. I would go to bed at like 3 AM and then I just couldn't sleep until the sun rises. So I let it go and just woke up, wasted my time away by watching TV and watch the sun rise. Then I would fall asleep at like 9 AM and woke up at 12 PM-ish, and the whole thing would repeat the following night. Thankfully school was out then.

Some people believe that sleep is a "gift from god" which is kinda true I think. Come to think of it why do we sleep? How do we sleep? And why do some people find it very easy to fall asleep anywhere and anytime, while others find it very difficult to sleep? Sleeping is indeed a mystery sometimes. And they say scientists haven't really figured out the main reason to why we sleep and why we need them. It was only until recently that scientists from Harvard School of Medicine discovered a sleep "node" that send us to deep sleep. If they can find a way to activate it, we can say goodbye to sleeping pills!

Having said all these, I actually enjoy night time. I love Saturdays here because I get to sleep pretty late and wake up late the next day. There is something about being around in night time that makes me calm and serene, and I feel that my heart is at peace. There are times where I wish the night would go on and on, times where I wish that I can stop and extend this night time as and how long I want it to be. I suppose night time is a time where we wait for tomorrow to come. Where our thoughts froze and our mind is filled with hopes for a better tomorrow. Or even a better week, month and year.

It is a time where darkness envelopes us, giving the mind a chance to shine as brightly as possible. Where the light from the sun doesn't shine too brightly over us, so that we can find our way in times of this darkness. A time where our the darkness of the night seems to cool our minds down.

As much as I love the bright and blue afternoon sky, I pretty much enjoy the night too.

No comments: