Monday 22 December 2014

Happy Winter Solstice // Best of 2014 - Music

Happy winter solstice

Today is winter solstice, without the snow of course. I wish we have snow here to make everything seems more... Wintery. But ah well since we've been doing this tradition for as long as I can remember, we eat tang yuans today! I specially made the ones with fillings for myself cause it's kinda yummy and I love it anyway. Winter solstice is a day that also reminds me that I'm getting old... Because...

As a tradition, we're supposed to eat the tang yuans according to our age, plus one. Since I'm 22 now, I have to eat 23 of them. So every year this number will increase and yes, I feel old in this day. I used to eat only 10 and now I have to eat 13 more. Next year 14 more, and so on. But well it's also a chance for me to sort of look forward to the new year, and reflect back upon the year. To me each tang yuan represent my hopes and aspirations for the coming year, and also as a reminder to the lessons I've learned in this year. A moment of reminiscing and looking forward ahead!

And talking about lessons... I've decided to start "counting down" the moments and things I discovered in 2014 in the next ten days, kind of like a "best of 2014" posts. I hope I can stick with this hah. Okay for today, I'm going to countdown on the great music/albums/artist discovery for this year!

// Best of 2014 - Music //

I'm inspired to do this after watching The Needle Drop's list week where Anthony lists his favourite albums, EPs and Singles of the year. There is a lot of music to choose from and I am confused to choose them! I'm just going to list down, in my opinion, the best albums & songs I discovered in 2014.

Best albums (in no particular order)

- In The Silence by Asgeir
- Stay Gold by First Aid Kit
- Ultraviolence by Lana Del Rey
- Ghost Stories by Coldplay
- Goddess by Banks

If I were to pick my favourite favourite album, I'll go with Stay Gold by First Aid Kit

Best songs (in no particular order)

- Step Out by Jose Gonzales
- Ribs by Lorde (discovered in late 2013 but listened to it all the way till now hah)
- Future Days by L'Alphalpha
- Head In The Snow by Asgeir
- Going Home by Asgeir
- A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay
- Stay Gold by First Aid Kit
- Fifteen by Goldroom ft Chela
- Hideaway by Kiesza
- Bedroom Wall by Banks
- Dreamer by Low Roar
- All Night by Icona Pop
- Touch by Shura
- Get Away by Chvrches
- The Nights by Avicii

If I were to pick one, it'll be a tie between Head In The Snow by Asgeir and Stay Gold by First Aid Kit

I love Head In The Snow, there's something about the song that made me fall in love deeply with it, especially at the chorus where Asgeir sings about hope and joy. As for Stay Gold, I love the lyric of the song as (I think) it is a song about uncertainties, but at the same time being hopeful and brave while facing them. So yup, I have love them both.

Breakthrough artist of the year: Banks and Shura

I can't wait to see what Shura has in store for us in 2015! She's so talented and I just can't wait for her new album/EP. As for Banks, I think she's my breakthrough artist of this year haha.

Right that's all for my first best of 2014 post! More coming up, see you soon! :)

No comments: