Wednesday 31 December 2014

In 2014...

It's the dawn of the last day of the year, and I think it's a pretty awesome time to write about how my 2014 went. I must say it's been an exciting year. I have definitely learned a lot, and grown a lot this year, as a person and as an adult I suppose. I am thankful to have gone through this year in health and safety. Thankful for the lessons I've learned, and definitely excited to know what's in store in 2015.

Here goes.

 My one-day old nephew back then!

In 2014 I officially become an uncle with the arrival of my little nephew. Although I used to tell myself how old I feel now that I'm an uncle, it feels okay actually. But it feels great too, to finally be one. My nephew is now a healthy 11-month old baby who's turning one year soon in January. I can't wait for him to grow a bit bigger so that we can play together. I can't imagine his energy though. He is not able to speak and walk yet, but his energy is really huge. So yeah, gonna be interesting

The newly-wed and her siblings

In 2014 I have a brother in law as my sister got married in February! It's pretty much an exciting event too, to finally see my eldest sister getting married. Although the house felt kinda empty without her, and that I still miss her at times, I'm just happy for the two of them! :)

2014 marked one year since I left Singapore. In this one year a lot of things have definitely changed, and I have also learned a lot of things. I lost some and I gained a lot. Throughout the year, as it goes by, life just gave me reason after reason to why things work out in such a way.

"The Tibetan word for body is lu and it means something we leave behind"

In 2014 I came across The Tibetan Book of The Dead And Living by Sogyal Rinpoche, and I am very thankful to have come across with this book. The book that taught me a lot about life and it has definitely changed the way I see about life, a lot. I discovered a sentence that changed my life forever, that to me is the quintessence of life. And it goes like "The Tibetan word for body is lu and it means something we leave behind".

In 2014 I started meditating everyday after I finished reading the book. I am convinced that meditation is the best way to train our minds. Our mind is huge, limitless and boundless. Meditation is a way in which I can explore these areas that we haven't touched before. And I did feel different after I start meditating. I cling to emotions less, and I am calmer and more peaceful. Although I am very far from being a "pro" and as I learned from the book, there is no end to this practice. Meditating is definitely a new habit I'm going to carry on into 2015, and more years to come.

Iceland is beautiful

In 2014 I fulfilled my dream of traveling to Iceland. I embarked on my dream trip on the last day of July and it is definitely a trip I will never forget. To be on the country you've always dreamed of going is definitely something so surreal and just amazing. Although I wish I can stay for a month there (instead of a short 5 days), I enjoyed myself fully and that is what mattered the most. Also, I had the chance to transit in Helsinki, which is a city I've always wanted to visit too.

One of 2014 resolution done!

In 2014 I took part in the Jakarta marathon 10K race, which is also a 2014 resolution. Although I didn't get to beat my personal best, it truly felt good to be back on the road again, running my heart out. And I am planning to make this a yearly event and hopefully, I can also join the Bali Marathon.

White Shoes and The Couples Company at RRREC fest

In 2014 I caught a lot of my favourite musicians whom I've always wanted to see live. From Empire of The Sun in February, L'Alphalpha and Weish in October, White Shoes and The Couples Company in November, and recently, Chvrches a month ago. Watching my favourite musicians live never fail to inspire me. Though I may seem like a dreamer, they always remind me why I love music so much, and they never fail to make me hold on to my dreams and love of performing in front of a crowd too.

In 2014 I started a project called Project365 - 2014. A project in which I take pictures every day of the year. I am currently on my 364th photo and I can't wait to conclude this photography journey of mine. The project serves as two purpose for me - firstly, it is for me to keep on doing what I love doing in this year, although I don't do it for a living, and secondly as a visual diary for me. But through this project I have also learned to see beauty in everything. And that we have such a wonderful beautiful life seriously

2014 is the year with the least failed resolutions for me! The reason? I have very little resolutions, and I make sure I work towards them. To everyone, don't make bombastic and ridiculous resolutions for the coming year. Just have a few, but make sure you do them all.

Embrace yourself, because no one else will

In 2014, I have come to terms with myself, and accepted who I am.

If I can describe 2014 in one word, I would describe it as a serendipity. And if I can sum 2014 in two words, I would call it a "serendipitous epiphany". It is the year in which I learned a lot about life through the little things that happened to me. The events, experiences and ordeals I went through, have definitely taught me little lessons that peak into a beautiful mountain.

I wouldn't say 2014 was an amazing, fantastic and fabulous year. But I wouldn't say it is a horrible one either. I'll just call it a great and nice year. I have learned a lot, fulfilled my dream, and I hope, have become a better person than who I was in 2013. There's so much a year can teach you, so much a year can do to you. I am eager to know what I'm going to learn in 2015.

I told myself that I want to make 2014 a year of a better change, back when it started, since 2013 was a year of change for me. Well, I feel I have fulfilled this wish of mine :) 

On the other hand, I think the world has suffered enough this year. From Ebola, 3 major airline disasters, devastation in the middle east, and so on. I hope 2015 will be a better year for the world. And for more years to come. It saddens me to think back to all these incidences.

Alright. That's all for this year. Thank you 2014 for the lessons you have taught me, for the serendipity you have given me, for the memories I will never forget, and for everything else. It's been a great journey with you and I'm now moving to a new year. I'll carry whatever lessons you have taught me into 2015, and I will make 2015 a better year. And remember that you are a part and a reason to why 2015 is going to be a better year,

so thank you for that.

No comments: