Friday 8 September 2017

Mock

 Vegan!

So on Sunday when we were having the 7th month prayer here at home, I posted a photo of a vegetarian braised "pork" dish on my insta-story. And one of my friends sent me a message telling me that these mock-meats are actually unhealthier than real meat, so if I'm a vegetarian cause of health reasons, I should stop eating them and go back to meat. But if it's for animal concern then no worries.

Well it's true. My dad always asks me what goes inside this mock meats, as they look like real meat. Well they definitely don't taste like meat though. All I know is that most of them are made from gluten (seytan). Some are made from soy. For example the braised "pork" is made from soy and konyaku. The fat part is made out of konyaku and the meat is from soy. At least that's what I tasted.

Since they're made out of gluten, they are practically carbs right hahaha.

To be frank I actually don't like mock meats cause they taste weird haha. Except for the ones from Dharma Kitchen which tastes really good. I'm more of a vegetables and tofu kind of guy. I really love veggies. I can't eat without them. I need them in every meal! Haha. So yeah it isn't much of a problem for me. As a vegetarian I'll eat anything, as long as it doesn't contain meat!

But hmm I'm not sure if I agree with the statement that it's unhealthier than meat. Okay maybe those store-bough ones are. Cause you don't know what they put inside. Lots of preservatives perhaps, and colourings and whatever. But if you make your own "meat", I'm 100% it's healthier than meat haha. Not only it does not contain cholesterol, and that it contains less fat, it is also loaded with nutrients!

I don't make my own mock-meats but I like to make "scallops" out of tofu, burgers out of chickpeas/beans, and meatballs from tofu as well. I've yet to make another veggie burger. And how about those beet burgers! They look like meat right haha. But yeah that's what I think.

Someone once asked me why we vegetarians still eat mock-meats. Does this mean that we still miss meat? That we crave for them? Hmm well not for me. To me the idea of eating mock-meats is to tell people that like hey you can still enjoy food without killing animals. It's not that we crave meat. It's the idea that we don't want to eat meat, therefore we go creative to think of alternatives mwahaha.

Some vegetarian chefs are so crazily creative really! Their creations are truly amazing.

Okay this is a really random post about mock-meats haha. Been meatless for 1.5 years now and I'm still enjoying it! The idea of going back to meat has never crossed my mind. I'm even thinking of going vegan soon... I'm not ready for it though haha. Maybe when I live by myself so as to not trouble my mum. But anyway I've been avoiding both dairy and eggs so far! Hope I'll go further <3

No comments: