Saturday 11 November 2017

11.11

So apparently today is Single's day? Well in China only I think haha but I remember seeing an article once that it is celebrated because the date, 11-11 looks like singular people together. Anyway, happy single's day to all the single people out there. Including me! HAHAHA.

Which makes me want to talk about something today. Something I rarely talk about - love.

I have a confession to make. Maybe most of my friends know this. I'm 25 now, and I've never been in a relationship. Zero, none haha. I've never even tried to sort of "try" to go into one? I do have crushes, but that's all heh. And especially after I returned home, it's even more difficult for me to find my significant others. Also I'm working now, and thus I'm less free as compared to when I was still in school, as a student. And hmm. I feel okay with it to be honest.

I do have a conversation with a few of my friends about this issue. Okay back when I was young (like in secondary school/early poly era), I always have the thought that I need to find someone else who will be my significant other. I want to get married, live together etc etc. But as I grow older, the thought of leading a solitary life seems to be okay with me. Don't get me wrong, I still am open with the idea of finding that someone. Just that if I don't, I'm okay with it too.

A few of my friends were telling me that maybe we have entered that comfort zone of being alone? So comforted that we are "against" the idea of being attached. I'm not sure, it maybe is; since I've lived a majority of my life alone when I was in Singapore. Hence I'm totally used to, and I'm okay with doing things alone. I mean I eat out alone, I watch movies/concerts alone, I cool alone etc. 

So in all honesty, I can see myself growing old alone too hah. Okay in this context, what I mean by alone is without a partner. I'm pretty sure I won't be -totally- alone when I'm old.

Also I have this belief that you'll never find true happiness until you've learned how to create it by yourself. Many of us have this idea that like our partner is a source of our happiness. Yes I believe in that too, that couples should be able to "complete" one another. Be a source of comfort and happiness when times are rough and so on. But we should never solely rely on them to be happy.

I kind of realised that there are two kinds of people in this world. There are people who are in their 30s, single, and they are feeling okay. And there are people who got stressed and worried because they are not married/attached. See what I mean? Some people have that belief that they need their other half to be happy to have a lesser stressful life. But can they?

Sometimes I feel annoyed when people are questioning why I'm still single, or why I don't seem to find interest to find someone else. Because personally I don't feel the need and rush to do this. I mean I'm only 25, and also I strongly believe that love shouldn't be forced? Especially if you are not ready! And I really see nothing wrong with not being attached yet. Like why are we rushing to be attached? 

I don't get some people to be honest.

All in all, I just wanna say that I see nothing wrong with being single. Because really, there's more to life than just "rushing" to find that special someone in your life. But at the same time yes, it's alright to have someone too. I guess one of the good things about being single is that you'll have more freedom? And one of the bad things about being single all your life is that you can't relate to the myriads of heartbreaking songs out there hahaha. Unless we're talking about our crushes.

Well happy single's day to everyone out there. Don't rush things, I hope we'll all find someone. And if not, I hope you'll find happiness and a peace of mind by yourself too.

No comments: