Saturday 18 November 2017

Solitude On Sunday

 Run, music, sky, wind

After the lunch and drinks that I had with Vithya two Saturdays ago, I went to the bus stop opposite of Star Vista to catch 106 back to the hotel. We passed by the running track along the Pandan canal. It was the running track that I used to run along every Sunday for my weekly run! Also it is the route that I take if I decided to walk home from SP. That place brought so many memories!

But the memory of my Sunday runs is the most vivid one for me. Because it reminds me of something I missed the most about my life in Singapore - Solitude.

How every Sunday evening I would change to my running shirt, put on my shoes, play some music and just run. To be honest I really miss running haha. It feels pretty awesome to just start running to wherever I choose to go then. I would either go all the way to the end of Ulu Pandan Road, turn left, and then into the track and run about 5 KM. Or I would run along the houses and condos near Pandan Valley and then into the track, which would start on the 500m mark.

Or I would run to Ngee Ann Poly and then back. Sometimes I would run all the way to Holland V and back again. I don't like this route cause there's red lights and I hate stopping haha. The craziest route I've done is to Ngee Ann, then sixth avenue and back home! There was also once where I tried running to Sixth Avenue but then it started raining so I stopped halfway. Also the route is quite steep and it really made me feel breathless and lazy hahaha. Those were the days.

One of the things I loved a lot about running is the idea of being left "alone". It's just me and music, and the evening sky. I just run till I feel like it, but usually I have a certain distance I am determined to cover. And then also I really enjoyed the walk home after the run. Just me, the evening breeze and music. It's a moment for me to just contemplate and sort of calm down before another week begins. 

If there is anything I miss about my life in Singapore, it would be solitude. The ability to be alone whenever and wherever I want. It feels like a time where I can not care about the world for a little while? I know it sounds selfish but I kinda miss how good it felt. I remember that day where I just decided to go to Labrador Park and stare towards the sea until the sun sets and it was dark. It felt so blissful. Okay it was also depressing because I messed up my data calculations for FYP haha.

But yeah. I miss that ability. I mean I can do this here too, I just don't know where I should go. Sometimes I have that crazy idea of just driving all the way to the beach alone on Saturday or something but that would be really crazy. I'm not a good driver either so yeah.

Those were the good old days.

No comments: