Saturday 28 April 2018

Final Home

So today we commemorated 49 days death anniversary of my late aunt. In tradition, we also usually do a "grave blessing", if you translate it from Indonesian heh. Well basically we just bless the final resting place of my aunt. With the grave walls, writings and carvings finished, her final home is also done. It was my first time being part of this and it's a pretty interesting event I must say!

It's just like the usual prayers at home with food etc, but just done at the grave. And there are also several other practices that I just learn about. Like for example lighting up candles around the grave, releasing birds and fishes, and so on. My aunts and uncle gathered for the prayers and to be honest, it just felt like another gathering at home. Minus my late aunt of course, who's definitely there with us spiritually. I think this is what's interesting about Chinese traditions, these prayers are opportunities for the family to gather. No matter the events - funerals, weddings, death anniversaries etc.

Something really interesting happened today. So to close off the prayers, we ended it by releasing a cage of birds. Not sure what's the purpose of it. But before I released the birds, the master of ceremony (who's my aunt's uncle) asked me to tell my aunt that she can now cross the river. Not sure about this either haha. So during the last few moments of the prayers, it started raining. But after I released the birds, suddenly a few Jacob Ladders (sunrays breaking through clouds) appear in the distance.

I just realised this after I released the birds, and the words that the master of ceremony said to me. Perhaps it's a good sign that my aunt has reached the other side? Hmm.

I know in Tibetan beliefs, if a rainbow appears during the burial/cremation of a Buddhist master, it's a sign that he/she has reached the other side. It's basically an auspicious sign. Not sure about Jacob's Ladder though! I take it as a good sign as well haha. Well aunt, hope you've reached the other side :)

Life is pretty interesting. This world, this planet, this universe, the life we're in right now. I often wonder how more interesting it will be once we leave everything behind. Perhaps that's when we'll understand everything. And this is the reason why we'll never understand life while we're still living.

No comments: