Sunday 22 April 2018

Happy Record Store Day!

 The only RSD release that I own
Shura's Touch single, for RSD 2016!
Thanks Mandy :)

A belated one that is, it's supposed to be yesterday but... RSD usually lasts a weekend right! Haha. So still, a happy Record Store Day to you! Well I couldn't make it for this year's RSD again but it's okay. Like I said last year, I'm still living the minimalist life so yeah. Still sticking to that rule of only buying records that I really really love. If you get what I mean yes.

Anyway it's just another day for me to reflect about music in general. But most importantly, about the joy of collecting physical formats. Well to be honest I think I've been "pausing"  a lot for this year. Maybe also because most of the albums that I've been anticipating this year are not released yet. Most of them coming next month! So yes I'm pretty excited. I've pre-ordered PREP 2nd EP and Chvrches third album, and I can't wait to receive them in my mail :)

So far I've only bought errr.... Let's see, 7 records and 2 CDs this year HAHAHA. Okay that's quite a lot actually. I bought Adele's 19, Best of Fleetwood Mac, Michael Jackson Thriller and Depeche Mode's Violator. And for this year's releases, First Aid Kit's Ruins, Rhye's Blood and S. Carey A Hundred Acres. More to come this year and yup! Hope to collect more too,

Come to think of it I've actually been collecting CDs for 16 years now! Back to when I was 10, when I came to Singapore to study. I remember I would ask my sister to bring me to HMV. I would spend a good hour there looking through albums, especially in the classical/world music section haha. I love it when they have sales. I remember in P5 there was this "3 CDs for $21" sale rack and I was so spoilt for choices. But well my sister only allowed 3 CDs and no more! Haha.

And that's how I discover more music I guess.

I don't know why, maybe it has become a habit and a hobby. But it's a childhood dream of mine to actually build my own music library when I grow up. And then listen to my favourite albums while I sip some tea at night. Even though yes, I listen to my iPod/Phone more than I listen to my CDs, I just want to collect CDs and other physical formats. And I have no plans to stop.

So yup, Happy Record Store Day, here's to everyone who still believes that music still needs a physical manifestation. And here's to more CDs and Vinyl to come! :P

No comments: