Wednesday 30 May 2018

Happy (belated) Vesak Day!

 Bayon Temple, Cambodia 2017
Happy Vesak Day!

Right Vesak was actually yesterday but I was really busy with work at night so I didn't have the chance to blog. Oh well but here's me wishing you a happy belated Vesak day! May all living things be happy and may wisdom radiate from within them! I got the latter phrase for Tergar Indonesia. I've been looking for the right words to "May all living things be more wise? Get more wisdom?" Hahaha. That phrase is well put! Yes, may wisdom radiate from us within, and may we radiate them to other people too :)

Anyway it was a pretty okay Vesak day for me. Quite happy because I get to do a few meditations throughout the day weeee. Did one in the morning, then in the temple, then another one at night. So yeah felt quite accomplished. Vesak day is not only a day where we contemplate the life of the Buddha, but to me, it is a day where we contemplate how we can be a better Buddhist, and ultimately a better human. I'm quite thankful that I found this "path" I guess?

Like I said in a previous post, I was never a good Buddhist. I always called myself a Buddhist but I don't know much about Buddhism! Haha. I never practise meditation, mindfulness and so on. But well yes I'm happy that I decided to look further into these practices 4 years back. I would really say that meditation is a core practice in Buddhism. Or heck, you don't even have to be a Buddhist! Heh.

Buddhism is a religion that has ruined my life - but in an extremely good way haha. It has shattered all the things I once believed to be true. It has shed some light, it has told me that life may not be amazing every day but I've learned to see the beauty of each moment through mindfulness. Yes in Buddhism, life is indeed a suffering. But we can learn how to go through this suffering worth suffering for!

I once read that the more you learn about Buddhism, the emptier you'll feel about life and Buddhism in general. Not exactly trying to say that the more "meaningless" your life becomes. But somehow it helps you to stop giving "meaningless definitions" to things in life. If you get what I mean.

Well I will continue to do my daily meditation. It really helps a lot for me, I feel like I'm a changed person than who I was 4 years ago before I start meditating. And I will continue to learn more about this beautiful religion. Sometimes it's not even a religion, more of a philosophy?

Alright I'm going to stop here for now. Can't believe May is ending tomorrow. 

No comments: