Tuesday 8 March 2011

Hong Kong!

Hello! I just got back from my Hong Kong trip just now at 9 or so... Wanted to blog, but was too busy FB-ing, uploading photos, unpacking my stuff etc. So I'm going to blog about it now while waiting for my pictures to be uploaded in FB hehe.

Anyway I'll talk about the trip in day-per-day basis okay!

Day 1:
Reached HK at about 3.30 PM, met our tour representative and we headed for out Hotel. It's Kimberley hotel, nice and comfy and location is right in the middle of one of HK's shopping district! So it was rather convenient for us to shop around, also known as, the Tsim Tsa Shui area! Shopped + dinnered at Tsim Tsa Shui from about 5 to 10.30 I think. Bought an FCUK shirt and yeah that's about all for day 1, rather short day.

Day 2:
We had a half-day tour on this day. Visitted key landmarks in HK like the golden Bauhinia square, fishing village, repulse bay, HK jewellery factory and some traditional Chinese medicine shop thing. Not a huge fan of the jewel thing, you know, me and jewels are not really a good match. After the tour we went for a Yum Cha lunch haha. We're sort of shocked with the fact we got to wash our utensils beforehand -,-"

Then went to the Ladies' Market (Nu Ren Jie) for more shopping! Shopped for souvenirs there, and got myself uhh some shirt, bought a magnet as well, for myself. It's a really long stretch of road with so many people selling/buying different things. Then went to some other district near that area, and we shopped a while more before cabbing to Victoria's peak.

At the peak (Shan Ding) went to Madamme Tausaud (spelling?). It's the wax museum thing! The replicas REALLY look a like. It's sort of scary and amazing at the same time. Then went for the peak, sadly it's foggy so... The view isn't that awesome. But anyway it's great. Went to dinner after that, at a HK cafe! Not bad I guess, a bit bland though :P I guess they sort of suite it to the tourists' liking? Not sure. then cabbed back to the hotel.

Day 3:
Transferred to Disneyland hotel. The hotel was alright, we gotta upgrade to a better room for 100 HK dollars. After checking in we went to the Disneyland of course! Hmm I have to agree with what lots of people say. Firstly, I think it's more suitable for young kids/family/couples/young children. For teens like us, it's only good for sightseeing and photo taking. The rest is just... Okay... But it's rather awesome though!

After Disneyland we didn't want to rot from 4 to 8. So we decided to go to Causeway Bay. It's sort of the upper shopping area of HK. It's yeah... All the branded goods are there :P But I went to HK's HMV! Guess what I bought Howl's Moving Castle OST CD for HK$150 (S$ 20 plus)! In HMV here, it costs $60! I'm so luckyyyy hahaha.

Wanted to go to Noon Bay Gun, some photo spot thingy but we decided to head back to our hotel... MTR (HK's MRT) style. On the way we ate this octopus ball which is so damn awesome! Took MTR from Causeway Bay -- Central -- Hong Kong (it's a station) -- Sunny Bay -- Disneyland resort. And damn we missed the firework, it ended when we reach our room :O

Day 4:
Last day in HK (yesterday) did nothing much, walked around the resort in the afternoon while waiting for the taxi to come (for about 2 hours). Took photos etc. We checked in REALLY early haha, like 3 hours before flight. So well we just spent the afternoon in the airport. Eating, walking around etc. Then we boarded the plane back to Singapore :(

Well my trip to HK in overall was awesome. Being my first time there, I think it's a real eye opener. To me HK is like a land of contradiction. In a way it's a modern, urban, fast-paced city. But yet there's this touch of non-urban part of the city. As my tour guide says, it's a country with 2 systems.

But I promise myself that I will return back to HK. This time round minus the tours. I wanna explore the city on my own. I came up with a line: When travelling, I want to do what the locals do, eat what the locals eat, bask the culture as much as I can, and had fun. I've seen the touristy side of HK. So next time I want to experience more of the local stuff. I think it's really great to do what a local did in the day or something like that.

Things in HK are cheap as well. I wouldn't say the quality is better, or worst than the stuff here. But well it's almost similar as the one in Singapore. In fact I see lots of similarities of HK and Singapore. The buses look the same, the car plates look the same, taxis, buildings and MRT! But I find HK mansions are taller that Singapore ones.

Travelling to HK is a real eye opener to me. It makes me, it tells me, that travelling is a great thing. And now that I travelled WITH my camera (AKA girlfriend), I felt really... "Happy" and great cause I got to snap pictures from the places I've never been. And bring them back to be kept for my memories. I wish I could do the same for my trip to Sweden but oh well.

But I guess one of the best parts of my trip this time is to talk with locals (especially taxi drivers). Like how I talked with this driver from Shan Ding back to the hotel. And with another one from Disneyland to Causway Bay. They're really friendly, and what I'm proud of most? I spoke with them in CHINESE! Haha, isn't it cool. It's really great to talk with locals, you get to know their perspective of the country, and you got to make friends as well :)

I guess life's just too short to be spent within your comfort zone. Within your house, within your country. Get out, go out and see the world with your own eyes, and you'll find life's so much better and more worth to be lived for. So yes, I'm sort of encouraged more to go and travel to other places as much as I can!

Okay still uploading my pictures now. So many pictures! But well yeah, I'll just wait. Okay sorry for the long posts! I'll post up the pictures tomorrow here okay hehe. See ya see ya

No comments: