Sunday 22 July 2012

Toda I Ran Against Cancer



Yup today I Ran Against Cancer!

As I was saying on my last post, yup today was the race day for the event Run Against Cancer which was held in East Coast Park. It was my first 15KM run and I was really nervous by it since this will be the longest distance of race that I've participated so far. Well it was interestingly... Challenging. A few unfortunate events happened during my race and bleah, I've learnt my lesson.

Okay so the distance is 15KM right, here are the series of unfortunate events. At 6 KM my pants' pocket tore and my phone dropped on this super awkward position in my pants (not what you're thinking!) and so I have to stop to take it and put it in my back pocket instead. At 8 KM while drinking water I threw up cause I choked on it. Lesson learnt, no running while drinking. It took me some time to recover and yeah was feeling so unpleasant. 12 KM, my whole leg was cramping. My knees hurt when my feet landed. Was forced to walk for a while. And I've been walking-running from 12 - 14 K.

Above all of these, what I'm proud of is that I did the whole race and I finished it. I didn't stop and walk all the way to the finish line which was something I planned to do when my knees were hurting. Was just thinking to walk from 12 to 13, but nope, I just walked a few metres and ran and walked a bit and ran and after 14K, I just gave it all and zoom!

Yes I'm pretty disappointed with my timing. Actually I don't know what's my timing... But yeah I took longer than I expected. And as I planned to run for. But it's okay, just goes to show me that I can still improve on my timing. It was my first 15 after all and I really didn't know what to expect. But yes at the end of the day, that sense of accomplishment was just awesome.

It feels different, it felt like SCMS 2011 last year.

 Doreen, Russel and I! :D

But come to think of it, this seemingly arduous 15KM that I went through is nothing compared to the battle that cancer patients have to go through. The pain of chemo, radiation, drug effects this and that, my run is nothing. And this is what kept me going through the run. I think if these cancer patients have the courage to fight the disease, I sure can have the strength to finish the race too!

Cancer... Has been well. A few of my relatives have lost their battle with this disease. My grandpa, grandma, great-uncle and aunt. My good friend's dad, and a few other people which I know as well. My aunty, however, is one particular individual which I can refer to closely. She has been battling with cancer for... Was it 6 years? I know before I came to Singapore and then she passed away when I was in P6. Shocking news I received when I reached home. That day...

My aunty's battle is a special story for me. She would come to Singapore for her chemotherapy sessions back when I was in P5. I still remember those days when I would accompany her during her sessions at Mt Elizabeth hospital. She would be on the drips, while I was doing my homework. Sometimes we chatted, sometimes she would fall asleep.

And I would also come and visit her at the hotel, and bring her around to and fro the hotel and the hospital. Back when I was in P4 my brother and I would also come and visit her. I still remember she was teaching my brother economics and accountancy stuff. We would eat together or bring food to her. She was really one strong woman I know.

Then in P5 when I went back for December holidays, she was hospitalised back in my hometown. My family gathered and seeing her in a dire condition hurt me. There was one incident when she vomited blood out and I was there wiping her mouth and cheek. And she told me "Sorry for troubling you" and I said "it's okay", not knowing that night was the last time I would see her. I returned to Singapore the next day, and 2 months later, she left this world.

And my other aunties were telling me more stories of her, of how strong she was to fight the disease. In one night it felt like she was going to leave and the next day, she was there reading newspaper eating fruits. She has the will to live. And the strength to continue fighting. That's why this run, I was so reminded of her. She kept me going in one way or another.

And also she was the one who taught me some songs on the piano. Swan Lake, I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing, and a few more. I still have her old piano scores which she once used when she was learning piano (I think). Pity I didn't really play all the songs inside.

So yeah, those are the reasons why I this run reminded me so much of her.

Nyehehehe

To all cancer patients, everywhere you are, please don't give up your fight and continue battling the disease! Perseverance is key, and your courage never failed to amaze me, to inspire me to fight the challenges I have in life too. I cannot give up and so do you! :)

And... In this race I did something special too!

 
Tadah! I placed this behind my singlet just to cheer people up. I know I'll be too tired to verbally say this to everyone so I hope this cheered up the runners who ran pass me! Cause nothing beats the joy of making someone's day, especially in a race when everything seems tough. Just inspired by some runners in last year's SCMS who did the same thing too hehe. Plus it's fun doing this!

There are a few groups of people who tapped my shoulder and said thank you, or some people who gave thumbs up as they ran pass me. But there's this special group of runners that I'm really appreciative of. I remember it was the 13 KM mark and I was running alone (the road was empty). Suddenly 4 guys surrounded me and cheered me up and ran along with me for a while!

I was feeling extremely tired then. I was thirsty, having cramps, and I couldn't seem to find the 14th KM mark haha. But these people seriously boosted my morale and I ran even faster, and pushed myself even more! Thank you to the 4 of you :)

I hope more people will do this during marathons too. I felt happy when people gave me thumbs up or smiles. And I hope that people felt an increase in morale as they saw this on my back. And if there are people who did this and I saw it too, I'll feel the same way. Make others happy, share your joy, cause happiness never decreases when being shared.

Hmm now what to write for Safra run hehehe.

Alright I guess that's all for the long post! Week 15 tomorrow. It'll be an awesome-r week and well, I began the week with an awesome run, and gonna end the week with another awesome event! Can't wait for Saturday :D :D :D Good night and see you!

No comments: