Thursday 19 June 2014

Band music

Alright I think this is the first time I blogging about this, but well cause tonight I am feeling really sentimental about band music, I'm going to share with you my favourite band music! Well I've been a band member (we call it bandit heh) for like 7 years when I was in Singapore. And I've grown to know songs from easy ones, to difficult ones, from okay ones, to beautiful ones and so on. I am very thankful and glad that I decided to join band in SP again, because SPSB was the "place" where I got to play some of my favourite and some of the most beautiful band music ever.

I'm not a music expert, and not an analytical one. Anyway I didn't study music, so I don't know what actually makes a music beautiful. But I suppose that's the beauty of it, that we actually interpret the beauty of each music. Just like how some of us like classical music while others think it's boring, and how some of us like rap music while I get headaches listening to it heh. So yup it's really up to us to interpret and enjoy the beauty of each music.

Right moving on! Here are some of my favourite band music.



The first song is First Suite in Eb by Gustav Holst. I first came across with this song when I was in secondary school. I forgot which concert it was but they played this song and I was really blown away by it. The second movement of this song (Chaconne) is so beautiful that it left me with an impact up till today whenever I am listening to this song. I really love how each movement is so uniquely beautiful on their own. And when the song comes together, it's just wonderful. And I'm truly glad that I get to try playing this song in SPSB back in 2010 I think, we were trying different pieces but we didn't choose this in the end but no worries, so happy I got to play it!



The second song is Variations On A Korean Folk Song by John Barnes Chance. This is based on the famous Korean folk song "Arirang" and in my opinion, one of the most beautiful band music ever composed. SPSB played this song back in 2011 for our IBM under the baton of Mr Leonard Tan and it's one concert I will never forget. When I first saw the score of this song I went "Wow okay" cause there's quite a few tricky rhythms. But as Mr Tan went through with us the different parts of the songs, and dissect it, the song is really a well-written one.

My favourite "variations" are the third, fourth and last one. I think John Barnes Chance is such a wonderful and talented composer who can create beautiful variations based on one folk song. This song inspires me to compose a variation to a folk song of my region too. But yes coming soon one day haha. Hopefully I get to do this one day!



The third song is Armenian Dances Part 1 by Alfred Reed. Among the band composers that I have come across with, Alfred Reed is one of my favourite composers. His songs are really beautiful (although yes it's quite challenging too) and they always stay in my heart. I came across Armenian Dances when I was still in secondary school, browsing Japanese band performances. And then in secondary 4 my sister's friend sent me a recording of this song and wow can't stop listening to it haha. I love all the movements of this song. And they sound so happy and joyful and grandeur.



Last but not least, and the latest beautiful band music I discovered is this. Variations on A Hymn by Louis Bourgeois by Claude Thomas Smith. I discovered this song from a video of a concert by Seika Girls High School in Japan which sadly is taken off Youtube now. When I first listened to this song I was really awed by how difficult this song sounds and how beautiful each variation is too. Especially the trumpet solo in the middle is so good. And the variation after that sounds like an organ playing in a church. Beautiful isn't it! I wish I could try playing this song.

Right these are, in my opinion, the most beautiful band musics ever composed. I am very happy that I got the chance to play some of these songs in my lifetime haha. Well obviously I have a long list of more beautiful band music that I love. To name a few more: Jericho by Bert Appermont, Noah's Ark by Bert Appermont, "Island Sun" Folk Tune of Okinawa by Takeyuki Nagano, Kaze no Mai by Yoshuke Fukuda, and more and more. Oh yes I think Japanese band composers are wonderfully talented too. The set pieces for the All Japan Band Competitions are so interesting!

Alright I'm going to stop here. I really miss band and I hope I get the chance to play in a band again. Although the chance is really low but well, I'm holding on to my hope and wish that I will sit with my friends again and play my clarinet together. Being in a band is definitely one of the highlights of my life. To play music together with a group of people who want to make beautiful music like you too is really a blessing, a bliss and a gift really.

Enjoy music, it's a privilege to be able to enjoy it with all your heart.

No comments: