Thursday 12 June 2014

On being vegan (twice a month)


 Presenting my latest vegan creation
Spaghetti with Chinese spinach and capers
with a squirt of lemon

Today is the 15th of the lunar month once again, which means it's another vegan day for me! Yup in case you don't know I have been going vegan twice a month since umm February I think. I did this last year but I stopped halfway, and well this year I decided to continue again and so far it's going great. Haven't broken this cycle yet. I am going to continue this cycle until I grow old. Believe it or not I am planning to be a vegan when I'm older.

Although last year I stopped doing this because I feel I was being a hassle to my family, for being the only vegan (for the day) while everyone else is not. Well this is because it means that we need to cook a special meal for me, or sometimes my mum bought a lot of food already that with one less person eating, there might be food wastage. And well also because... I was too lazy to cook my own meal, if this is done I wouldn't need to trouble the rest!

So that's what I'm doing now. I cook my own dish for dinner and my mum doesn't have to worry about me. And also I would remind my mum that I'm going vegan tomorrow so that she will buy less food. And I'm ever thankful and grateful for my grandma and aunts who send me vegetarian food every vegan day. And they make me feel like I can go vegan all my life from now with the food they cooked! Haha. So thank you grandma and aunts :)

But you see the weird thing is that... If you ask me why I'm doing this, I don't know the answer to this question. Am I doing it for religious reasons? No. Am I doing this because I love animals? Yes, partially, because if I truly care about animals I need to stop eating them. Am I doing this because of health? No, like as if being vegan for a day can make you healthier instantly. Well... I just want to go vegan twice a month because I want to. That's it.

And also because I feel guilty that I "indirectly" kill mice for my FYP heh and I pity them.

Ultimately like I said last time, my main goal in life is to be a vegan actually. After going vegan twice a month I realise that it's not that difficult to give up meat. And that life goes on even if I were not to eat meat. The only thing that stops me from going full time is because I'm still living with my family. When I live by myself, have my own kitchen, have the freedom to cook what I want and so on, I'll devote myself to be a vegetarian first, before making the full switch.

I go vegan because I want to. And I choose two "auspicious" date because well I suppose it's just a good mark every month to be vegan. I can choose the first and last day of the month or something too. And well because they say it's good to go vegetarian on those two days too heh. Although honestly yes a big reason to why I want to go vegan is for the animals. It is pretty much terrifying to see those videos that show how animals in farms are treated.

Although I myself feel that everyone should not be a vegan because it would cause a huge ecological imbalance in this world. Which can be disastrous heh. And neither do I want to force my thoughts to other people to be a vegan. That's why I don't want to trouble my other family members. Next step, I want to be a vegetarian once a week. If not, I want to not-consume meat for one day every week. Then full time vegetarian and vegan! Yay.

It's an ultimate life goal I really hope I can achieve :)

Alright I hope you're inspired to join me in this fun too. Vegan food aren't too bad! There's so many recipes you can try. Good for your health as well. Alright talk to you soon!

No comments: