Wednesday 4 June 2014

Your Song

Currently addicted to Ellie Goulding's version of Your Song. I think it's so beautiful!

Anyway last night I was listening to one of my favourite symphonies from Mozart again. It's Symphony No 25 in G Minor and you can listen to it too here below. And well I was just thinking again tonight, how did I get to love and enjoy listening to classical music? When did it all begin? I couldn't find the answers to all these questions either.



Since young I'm never being exposed to classical music. It's not like as if I grew up in a family where everyone plays music and listens to classical music. Well my grandpa and aunt did. Perhaps it is the fact that my parents enjoy listening to instrumental songs, and this is the reason why I wanted to learn to play the piano so much. And then I asked my sister (who as still in Singapore then) to buy for me more piano music CDs, and instrumental songs.

And then I came to Singapore and I got more exposure to different kind of music. New Age was the first new genre I got exposed to, thank to joining the Angklung and Kulintang ensemble where my awesome instructor, Ms Cindy Ho, arranged Enya songs for the ensemble. That's how I got to know Enya. And it's pretty awesome really! Went for music lessons, and I then finally get to know classical music composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach and Chopin.

I actually knew Tchaikovsky for quite a long time because I used to play Swan Lake with my late aunt on her keyboard. I would play the right hand and she would play the left. But I don't know who Tchaikovsky is, and what Swan Lake is. I just know it as a beautiful song that we can play on the piano heh. And then I joined band, and I got to know another new music genre (wind music) and I suppose that's how my music discovery began?

Tchaikovsky was (and still is actually) my favourite composer. I remember buying an album from Daiso called "I Love Tchaikovsky" and listening to his Piano Concerto No 1 and it was like one of the wow-est moment of my life. I fell in love with his work. And then I remember in secondary one, I got myself a compilation of classical music songs by various composers. That's how I get to know Chopin's piano etudes and waltzes, Mozart's Turkish March, Beethoven symphonies and so on. And of course I discovered more composers along the way.

Well it is nights like these that I felt really really thankful for all of these composers to be born into this world. They're such wonderful musicians and they created such wonderful music. And I feel it's truly a privilege to be able to enjoy classical music. Or wait, to even enjoy music! Without all of these composers, so many composers of today won't be able to create such wonderful music too. I'm so glad they came into this world really. How would life be without them!

So yeah, I'm just glad I love them. And I truly hope that the future generations will enjoy their music too, and that their legacy will always be remembered by humans forever. Sadly I can only play a couple of songs on the piano. Like Turkish March and Chopin's Nocturne. I hope I can learn more of the music of these composers! Would be an honour.

Alright here's to classical music, forever! :)

No comments: