Saturday 7 June 2014

Fungi

 Regrets

I used to tell a very lame joke to people that goes like:

"What's the most ra-ra creature on earth? It's Fungi, cause they're fun-guy!"

And well yesterday I found out that my camera lens got some fungi growing on it! :( It's such a sad and shocking news to me, because I am a very OCD/hyper careful/cautious guy when it comes to my camera. I keep it in a dry box. Well not a proper dry box but an air-tight container. I'll wipe my camera and lens dry before putting it in, and I store the container in a well-circulated area of my room. Not some cupboard where air ventilation is bad.

Then yesterday I had a food-shoot and when I glanced at the lens I went !@#$%*#(*$&%  when I saw a speck of snow-flake like patten on the rear of the lens. I knew it was fungus. Well it's not like a huge spread of fungus across the lens, just a tiny speck (like 5mm in length) on the rear of the camera. And looking at the images of yesterday's shoot they look normal, no weird distortions or something. So it was okay. But I was just feeling really sad :(

Researching further about lens fungus I read that well the best way to solve the problem is to send it for repair. But my hometown doesn't have such place. So another alternative is UV radiation. I don't have a UV lamp but I do have... The sun! So today I went to leave my lens for a bit of suntan. No worries I was just exposing the affected part of the lens to sunlight. Not like I'm roasting the lens below the scorching sun or something heh. And I'm planning it to do this for a few days, for a short period each time. Hope it works!

So I was getting paranoid because I didn't use the other lenses I have often. I gave them a check and they're fine. Except for my 2nd hand Tamron lens which is quite battered now heh. Ever since I got my trusty 16-80mm I stopped using it. And it's a lens I've been using for a good three years. It even got smashed once haha. And the rubber part is getting wonky too. Well after all it was a second-hand lens. So much memories with that lens though.

But then I was kind of hit with a wave of regret... That I shouldn't have bought so much lenses when I first started out. Okay as compared to those pro photographers I don't own like a lot of lens. Currently I own 5 lenses and they are:
- Sony 18-55mm (Which is the standard kit lens)
- Sony 50mm F1.8 (my super awesome prime)
- Sony 28mm F2.8 (awesome for street, rarely used though :/)
- Tamron 18-200mm (my 3rd lens, it's a 2nd hand and I got it for S$400!)
- Sony 16-80mm F2.8 (latest lens I got, and my favourite among all)

And looking back... Come to think of it I shouldn't have bought the 28mm one. Okay the reason I got it was because I own a film SLR (given from my uncle) with an awesome Mamiya 28mm lens. I used it for street a lot the other time and I really love it. So I bought Sony's 28mm, thinking that it was a great lens for street. And indeed it is! I really love it.

Okay I think I was pretty naive and too impulse when I got my first DSLR, thinking that owning a lot of different lenses work. Well I'm not a professional photographer and neither am I a person with photography as my sole-career. So I wouldn't be needing so much lenses. Back when I first started I thought owning different lenses would be a good idea because of its versatility. Of course, that's not a wrong thought after all. But I think since I'm not a photographer, the question actually boils down to: how often will you use all these lenses?

Ever since I got back, I'll only use my camera maybe once a month, or two months. For special events or when someone asked my help for a shoot. So I wouldn't be needing all of these lenses. But then again, well, no one knows the future. In Singapore I used the lenses quite often. When I got to town I'll use my 28mm. When I go for shoots I'll bring my 50mm usually. And when traveling abroad too. But now... I don't really use them.

I remember a friend of mine was getting a DSLR, so we were hunting around for a good bargain. Although it was his first camera, he told me that he was getting a Nikon D7000! While beginners usually got the D3000 (that time) or well the pricier D5000, he went straight away to D7000 which is like an intermediate user camera. So I was shocked and I asked him if he would want to consider getting the 3k or 5k instead because of the price. And he replied that he would rather make a good investment in the beginning and stick with it, instead of buying a beginner DSLR and then work his way up. His words sent shivers down my spine. How can I not think of this!

But of course, when I bought my Sony A230 I was really blind to photography. I didn't do any research. I didn't go so much in depth like him.

I suppose he's correct but well to a certain extent too. If I could turn back time I would really get myself, like him, an intermediate DSLR too and I would just stick with my 18-55mm. I'll find what I love to shoot the most (in my case landscape and street) and along this process, I'll save up some money and do research to what lens would suit me the most, in terms of my photography interest. 16-80mm was a lens I searched upon, and also I did a lot of hunting from Flickr to Google to DPreview and so on. And decided to stick with it. And till today, I love it.

So yeah I have a tinge of regret to why I bought that much lenses. Well the only regret I have now is the 28mm one. The Tamron was a great companion of mine but now he's retiring. And 50mm, like I said is my trusty prime.

Well to those who are interested to get themselves a DSLR, and also is wondering of what lens they should get, here's my advice to you. Okay I wouldn't advise you to go and get an expensive DSLR unless you are a 100% affirmed that you want to make photography a hobby. I know some people who got expensive DSLRs and then now, I don't see them posting photos using their DSLRs and so on. Quite a waste in my opinion, give me your DSLR! Hahaha.

A good beginner DSLR is good enough I suppose. I know Nikon doesn't allow the "pro" lenses to be used on the entry-level DSLRs (not sure if this is still going on). You can get Canon and Sony DSLRs, all lenses can be used for all DSLRs (except for the mirrorless cameras now like the Canon EOS M and Sony NEX series, they have different lens mount).

And please don't go on a lens-buying rampage like me. I would suggest you stick with your kit lens first. And then find your photography interest before moving on to your next lens. If say you like landscape you can consider getting the 17-40mm or 24-70mm. If you like macro go and get the macro lenses. If you like wildlife, why not the 300mm one. If you like portraits get a good prime. All these great lenses are great investments. And you can use it for a long time.

Well I have my regrets but there's nothing I can do. I'm even thinking of selling some of my lenses. Not sure where though. But well I'll see about it.

Talking about cameras, well I realise the future of cameras (I think) will go to mirrorless, and also the size of the cameras will shrink. I think DSLRs will be replaced with camera-sizes like the Sony NEX, Fujifilm X series, Canon EOS M, Nikon J series and so on. Even the new Sony A7 looks so damn pretty, and small for a full-frame camera! Would love to get that for my next camera but the price tag is so damn lovely too! Hahaha. So sleek and cool.

I think I'm going to get the NEX series for my next camera. Or the Fujifilm X series. Well this is when my camera can no longer be used anymore. Besides the price are still expensive now heh. And my trusty Sony A58 is still awesome as ever, just that her lens has some fungi growing on it which I truly hope of getting rid off ASAP. I hope they'll go away!

Okay I feel better after blogging about this. Well I've learned, really, that regrets cannot be undone and changed. But our attitudes towards it can! So move forward Adhi, it's alright, your camera is still working fine. Just be more careful next time.

Loving you as always, my dear girlfriend A58.

No comments: