Sunday 9 October 2016

Arriving At Places

Today feels like a milestone in my life heh. We opened a shop! It's no ordinary shop but a farming utilities shop. So if you ever need pesticides, fertilisers, herbicides etc, come and look for me mwahaha. Well I seriously am feeling a bit overwhelmed now that we opened a shop heh. I never really expected myself to do this. But well I'm kinda excited to see the road ahead!

Anyway today was just the opening day. It's a custom here that we invite a Kiyai (Muslim priest) to say a few prayers first. And then proceeding on to the cutting of the tumpeng. Tumpeng is like a yellow rice shaped into a pointed "mountain". The top of the mountain is then cut and toppled down by the owner of the shop. Well I leave it to one of my workers who'll be manning the shop to do this hah. The toppling down of the rice signifies the "official" opening of the shop. We close the ceremony with prayer again.

It's a very simple and humbling ceremony. Nothing much, we invite the neighbours and also the workers of the farm. We ate the rice and that's it. Let this be a great beginning of a wonderful road ahead. We're all still learning so I hope we can all help one another and walk along this journey together.

It was quite a hectic month of September for me. I was contacting the distributor and factories of the fertilisers etc and I got ping-ponged everywhere heh. But it was all worth it I guess. The perseverance and dead-ends I met eventually made me arrive on this day. Opening up a new business is seriously not easy job heh. So I salute everyone who works hard and set up a business! Alone.

At the end of this day, I came to ponder upon a thought. Sometimes in life, we arrive at places we never expect ourselves to arrive at. But it is in these places that sometimes, we found our life's calling. It is in these places that we discovered things we never come across before. Perhaps a new passion, a new dream and so on. It reminds me of the Dalai Lama's saying, sometimes not getting what you want can be a wonderful strike of luck. So yup, don't come to a negative conclusion right away. 

So yup. I never expect to arrive on this day, and do what I'm doing now. But the past three years have sort of helped me to find my life's calling. I don't know if I'll be successful and if this is truly my life's calling. But here's a cheers to all these places. Places that we'd love to arrive at, or places that we never expect to arrive at. For these places make life a splendid odyssey, and a wonderful adventure.

No comments: