Saturday 15 October 2016

Illusion of Permanence

I'm kind of obsessed with impermanence. Well neither in the bad nor good way, just... Well I've accepted and sort of understood the principle behind it. Nothing is permanent in this world and once we understood this and live our life holding on to this principle, I think life will become easier. And better.

I think some people are living in the illusion of permanence. That whatever is happening to them, is permanent. Which can be dangerous. When we're going through a good time, we seem to hope and wish that it will last forever. And when we're going against a storm, we seem to believe that the storm is here to stay forever. When in fact, none of them will last forever. They last, till they last.

So for example like people who steal things, and people who gamble, or corrupt, they believe that this money will keep on increasing. That they are able to do this forever, because of this illusion. Once the bubble bursts, they might or might not stop doing it. If they realised the reality of impermanence, they will stop. And if they don't, the cycle will continue. In Buddhism it's Samsara.

Which brings me to the second of the four thoughts - Impermanence. 

I never really thought about this until 2012, when I started going to the temple. To be honest I'll never forget that Sunday. I was having a rough week in ITP and on that Sunday, I saw the term "contemplation of impermanence" and boom, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I googled Buddhist texts and so son about impermanence and whew, it was really something enlightening.

And since then, it has become my motto that impermanence keeps me going. 

Ah well, this is just a random thought about impermanence that I had ever since last post's incident. How I think that the reason why people keep on doing "bad" things, is because of this illusion that they're living in. I think we are all living in this illusion. It takes time for us to get out of there. 

No comments: