Sunday 21 May 2017

Night Tea

 One of my tea cups. And the piano.

Not sure why but I've been having insomnia... Again! It's so annoying. Okay at least I always have a good, deep sleep. But somehow I just find it difficult to sleep. I'll just lie awake on my bed with eyes wide opened. I usually go to bed at about 5 AM and I can lie awake till 7. What kind of sorcery is this.

Although thanks to Facebook "On This Day" feature, I realise I've been having insomnia in May for almost.... Forever hah. As in I wrote a status about insomnia in almost every year, during May, in the same period. Quirky? Mysterious? I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with planetary alignment, earth's rotation and weather and everything else haha. Oh well, I kinda accepted my fate.

I used to wonder if it's because of my daily tea-drinking habit every night, before I sleep. So I bought myself some decaffeinated earl grey again, been drinking it for almost a month now but to no avail. It's stressful. But well hmm to me as long as I can get 6 hours of sleep at least, I'm kinda good.

But then again this leads me to another point which I wanna blog about today.

I don't think tea is the cause of my insomnia because I've been doing this... Since I can remember hah. I've been drinking tea before I sleep since I was in Singapore! Back in my secondary school days even. Okay maybe since secondary 4 when I have saved enough and can afford to buy my personal tea haha. I remember how I would heat the water in my electric kettle after I bathe, and after I finished I would brew some tea to drink while I'm studying (which is essentially before I sleep).

And come to think of it back in Singapore I would drink bitter tea. Like green tea and even black tea. And I have no problem with sleep. I remember that was one time where I really had a bad insomnia because I stupidly drank one litre of Pokka oolong tea like in the evening. I really couldn't sleep then. So yeah this got me wondering that maybe tea isn't the problem to my current insomnia.

Anyway I just wanna talk about my tea drinking habit in Singapore heh. Thinking about tea really reminds me of my Singapore days! Which... In 4 more days, it will mark my 4th year returning home. But yeah I just miss those days really. Okay I couldn't remember the secondary school tea-drinking days. Except for the fact that I like drinking Pokka Oolong tea, which my friends found weird cause it's bitter! :P Some of my friends share my joy of drinking that though mwahaha.

But yeah like my poly days, I remember them clearly. I even remember the tea I used to drink. It's mostly lipton hah. Sometimes I splurge on Twining and Dilmah. And a friend of mine even bought me TWG once! Most of the time though I always brew tea leaves instead of teabags. And I would throw away the tea leaves every morning to wash my cup before I go to school. Gosh, those were the days really. I can even remember the scenes haha. Morning, washing my cup with the late Mbak, talking about school and everything else. Then drying my cup and them Mbak will bring it into my room.

Every night I would eat dinner, bring my kettle to the kitchen while I wash my dishes, and then fill the kettle with water and put it inside the room to switch it on to boil. Then I'll leave to shower, and the water will be ready when I am done. I'll brew some tea in my cup. I even still remember my blue dragon cup with a in-built tea brewing compartment! I'll do work while I wait for my tea to brew and well, my night feels complete once everything is brewed. I can still remember where I usually put my cup.

Whew, memories, memories really.

I still do that today. Thankfully I don't have to do work while I wait for my tea to brew and drink it. Most of the time that is, sometimes I do work at this time hah. I remember I usually do work until 12 AM or so, and go to bed latest by 12:30/1, depends on workload. Thankfully in Poly I can wake up earliest by 6:45 ish. Since the earliest class starts at 8. Whew, I miss my poly days so much! Life was way simpler and easier then hahaha. But life has to go on I guess!

Okay that's all for today seriously random reminiscing post. I'm thinking of starting a new series called Random Memories where I talk about a particular memory of the past. Still thinking of a good name for the series though. Random memories sound so plain and boring, which is definitely not what my past is all about. Alright, gonna stop here! I hope you had a great weekend. The last few days of May is approaching and Ramadhan is coming. Time, where did you go to seriously.

No comments: