Monday 29 May 2017

TIL - Stopping Time

Okay back on this month's TIL! Need to go back on track baby. Anyway I'm going to combine err April's and May's TIL because they're kind of in the same track? It's about time. It's about living in the present (which I was talking about in the previous post). So yeah, here goes!

Have you ever had those moments where you stare at your calendar, or you come to a realisation that like "Oh it's Friday already?" or like "OMG it's June tomorrow!" and so on. Basically you lost track of time and realised how each week/month/year is passing so quickly. At times you wish for it to slow down but as you grow up, you realise that it will never slow down but does the opposite.

It speeds up. Somehow.

I suppose we're all getting busier as we grow older. Work caught us up, life caught us up and so on. I realise with each passing year, every week passes really really quickly. It has become a norm for me to realise that I'm in Friday when it feels like yesterday when the week has just started. I am no longer sort of "surprised" to see how fast time is flying. Like oh it's Friday. Okay. Oh it's Monday tomorrow.

One of my favourite words from John Koenig Dictionary of Obscure Sorrow is "Zenosyne", which is the sense that time keeps on going faster. And one of the phrases in the video goes like "when we were young, we got so used to living in the present because we have nowhere else to go". Which is very true. As we grow up our days are filled with more things. And then so do our weeks, months, years, and so on. We have more "places" to go and visit to every day. And we lose track of time.

And with this, I realised one thing. We should all stop wishing for time to slow down, or hasten up. We should go along with it. And ride on its river flow. That's what I've been doing these days. I make sure I get to do whatever I need to do on the day. On the week, and so on. I feel accomplished whenever I do all of my tasks and well at the end of the day, all I can do is breathe a sigh of relief.

Stop wishing for time to slow down. We are all here now. This is a beautiful place that we get to visit only once. There's no way but up, no other way but forward. So lets go everyone.

No comments: