Sunday 27 August 2017

Film and Festival

 Summer! Shot with my Skina SK2000 on Lomo800 film

So I decided to bring my film camera to We The Fest 2 weeks ago, and well I learned that it was both an overambitious act and also a good decision! Haha. Okay well I've tried doing this when I was in Singapore at Neon Lights last year. And I think it was a good choice because I actually enjoyed the festival more, with less time spent on looking at my screen seeing if the shot I took was good or not.

Which was the same case at WTF! All I did was frame, shoot and pull away the film to get ready for my next shot. Also knowing that I only have 36 exposures made me think a lot about the photos. I didn't happily fire away the shutter haha. But this also brings a bad point.

 Stars and Rabbit

That is I have a lot of blurry shots! Well I did use an ISO800 film. Outdoors (like Stars and Rabbit set) was shot in 1/100 speed. But apparently I still have a lot of blurry shot. And then indoors (Bottlesmoker, Shura, Gryffin) was shot a bit slower, but thanks to the awesome lighting, I manage to snap a few nice ones. So yeah I reckon that I was a bit overambitious to shoot in film.

 Love this shot of Shura!

Nevertheless I really enjoy the process. Shooting film helps to really make you enjoy the moment, whatever you are doing and wherever you are. Digital is also nice because you get to shoot a lot of shots and you're ensured that you'll manage to snap a few good ones. Back in Cambodia, I didn't know that my Sony A6000 has a lousy battery life. So I had to use my film camera to shoot in some of the temples that I visited because I was preserving the battery for the sunset photos in the evening.

 Try going to a music festival with a film camera!

And during those moments where I shot with my Canon Prima, I kinda feel that I enjoy the time more. I get to bask in the temples surrounding more I guess. Cause all I did was shoot and put my camera away. And more things to see, more things to feel as well. I'd love to one day travel with only my film camera. Now that I have a reliable developer here in Bandung (shoutout to Hipercat Lab!).

Alright that's all for today. I recommend you to try going to a music festival/travel with a film camera!

No comments: