Saturday 12 August 2017

We The Fest 2017!

 Summer memories. Thank you WTF 2017!

Hello hello! I just got back to We The Fest 2017 yesterday! Well it is a 3-day music festival, would really love to go for the whole three days but life happens, and I could only go for day one. Which is alright cause it was an awesome day nevertheless! I got to see Shura again, and caught some acts I've been wanting to see live! On the other hand I'm gonna miss Mondo Gascaro, Lightcraft, Phoenix and Dua Lipa which was today and tomorrow. Well I'm sad but it's alright, one day hopefully!

Anyway left my hometown at 11:30 AM for Jakarta. I was quite worried cause I woke up late! Supposed to leave home at 11 but I woke up at 11 hah. Just went to shower and pack my bags and left home at 11:30 so whew. Thankfully I made it in time! Reached PRJ Kemayoran at 3 PM and went to join in the queue. There was quite a long line at the security check so yep thankfully I was early.

 Stars and Rabbit. So so incredible

The first act that I watched was Stars and Rabbit! They are one of my favourite Indonesian bands, and their debut album "Constellation" is one of my favourite albums ever! I missed them at 2015 RRREC festival right here in my hometown cause it clashes with Mid Autumn hah. So I redeemed myself this time! Anyway seenig them live is a whole new story to be honest. I really love their energy on stage. You can feel the raw emotions run through the words and music of their performance. So incredible!

One of the highlights is definitely singing to "Worth It" with them, and dancing along with Elda on "Man Upon The Hill" for the closing song. Oh my goodness. I can't describe the feeling but it's just amazing. Pure euphoria and adrenaline rushing inside you and you see them perform.

 Indonesia's very own electronic duo, Bottle Smoker

Next up was Bottle Smoker! I've heard of them recently but haven't really give them a proper listen. Yesterday was also my first time catching them live and it's also an amazing set. I really love how their songs are inspired by rituals from around Indonesia. And well you can really hear them on their music. And same as Stars and Rabbit, their energy on stage is so amazing. We were all dancing through their music! These two talented duo have a great road ahead of them definitely.

Went to have dinner before continuing the night. Love the food selection... For the non-vegetarians HAHAHA. As much as I can recall there's only a mushroom pizza from Pizza e Birra, cireng and fries as vegetarian option (dessert not included). I hope there's more veg food option next year! :P But nevertheless the pizza is delicious. They have truffle oil holy mama! Also had some beer.

 Good to see Yuna again!

Next up was Yuna! Okay I didn't manage to catch her full set cause I really want to secure a good spot for Shura which was after her haha. But nevertheless it's good to see her again!

Welcome back Shura!

And then it was Shura! I managed to get a good spot about 3-people away from the front. Well Shura was incredible again. I'm so thankful that I managed to see her live again! Also it was awesome that we get to listen to her full set, as it was cut short during Neon Lights last year. She came close to us as usual for Touch and I managed to give her a card that I wrote for her. Yay thanks Shu!

 This was during Touch as usual :')

And also another awesome thing happened: Indonesia's president Mr Jokowi was watching her too! So during her set she said something like "The president is watching me behind". We couldn't really catch what she said but well yup, after the night, the president really did watch her hahaha.

 Gryffin shaking things up!

Last but not least to close the night was Gryffin! I discovered Gryffin through his remix of Bipolar Sunshine "Daydreamer". And then I found out that he did lots of great remixes! From Years and Years Kings, Desire and Troye Sivan's Youth. Also his new releases were awesome as well. It was such a great way to close the night to just dance to his music together along with the crowd.

Okay Gryffin set was probably my first ever DJ set. I'm not really that into Electronic Dance music. I do like a few (like Gryffin, Avicii, Jai Wolf and others) but I don't think I've ever been to a DJ set before. To me it felt so incredible to see everyone break into a dance during parts of the song (the drop? Is that what you call it?) and everyone just dance without caring about everyone else. I was dancing along too, without giving a shit whether I dance well or not haha. It's so amazing! 

So yeah I kinda understand why people really love the whole EDM scene. But to me I think the term EDM is too wide to be put into one genre. But yeah you get what I mean.

Yup that's all for WTF this year! I think it's a well-run festival in my opinion. The wait time between sets was short. Like I think there was only a few minutes of delays and not like 20 minutes of delay hah. Also the overall rundown of the festival is great! I really hope to return next year. I think it should go back to its 2-day lineup heh. I mean 3-days is awesome. But if it were 2 days, I think I might stay for everything. I kinda feel three is wee bit too long? I don't know, just my opinion.

Also please include more Indonesian lineup and even Southeast Asian ones! That'll be so cool. Alright thank you WTF 2017 for the incredible time even though I only went for a day. Really hoping to see you again next year. And also thank you Stars and Rabbit, Bottle Smoker, Yuna, Shura and Gryffin for the incredible time yesterday. Hope to see you all again one day too! Hope you had a great weekend :)

No comments: