Friday 4 August 2017

Handicapped

So I had a pretty interesting Wednesday, with my thumb being unable to move.

What happened was this. So on Monday, I started to feel this soreness on my right thumb. But I brushed it off thinking it was nothing. On Tuesday things got a bit stranger because it hurt when I tried to bend my right thumb. But I can still move it fine. Just a bit painful here and there. And on Wednesday things got horribly wrong, when I discovered that my right thumb hurt a lot if I move it!

After I woke up, I usually drink my cup of water. This time round, I couldn't even hold my cup as my thumb would hurt a lot when I bend it (imagine you holding the ear of a cup). Next I went to shower and it even hurt more when I tried to hold the shower head, and to lather myself with soap and shampoo. And I couldn't even dry myself with the towel and put on my clothes. I knew something was wrong.

Throughout the day, simple things that I usually do everyday became a challenge. Holding utensils when eating (I can't even use my hand for eating), typing on my phone (had to use my middle finger, cause even using my index finger hurt my thumb), opening doors etc. Thankfully for some actions, I can still use my left hand. But for some other actions, I was really struggling!

I think the most annoying part for this day was the fact that I couldn't write. Well I had to force myself to write. I did improvise a little bit by rolling tissue paper on my pen, to make the grip "fatter". I couldn't write quickly and my handwriting looked so horrible haha. I also couldn't drive, and had to ask my driver to send me to the farm. I felt very handicapped on this fateful day.

I felt that my liberty had been taken away for this day. But this has also given me a whole new insight about the lives of people with disabilities. I think there are lots of times when we take our bodies for granted. Our health, and so on. So yeah be thankful people, perhaps one day all of this will be taken away. I really experienced what it felt like to have your usual liberties taken away. 

And it wasn't lovely.

Thankfully I felt better on Thursday. I was able to at least wiggle the top part of my thumb. And on Thursday night I was feeling so much better, and was able to write (whew!). And today I woke up with my thumb functioning normally. There's still a slight sore on the joint part but all's good.

So yup. Love your body people! Including all of your fingers and your toes.

No comments: