Tuesday 22 August 2017

Pretence and Ignorance

I came up with this thought a few days ago. I realised that many people have a problem - we always pretend that we have lots of time, at the same time, we're also ignorant at the amount of time that we have. I'm such a person haha, but I've changed my habit, I plan my time well now because well, it is money! Like I wrote in my post last month about the importance of these 24 hours in a day.

When I was in poly, well I wouldn't say I was a last-minute person. I'm definitely someone who hates bering rushed and of course, I hate rushing too. So most of the time, I would finish my assignments weeks/days before it's due. I remember for my first Biochem report, I finished it way before the holiday. Because I wanted to enjoy the term break! Haha. While some of my friends were rushing it days before it was due. I remember Kai finishing it hours before submission time!

Guess what - She got an A and I got a B HAHAHA.

I remember during ITP I always do my work by Friday, before the weekend begins. And even if I can't finish, I'd finish it by Saturday morning. I don't really like rushing things!

But I have a bad habit. Although yes, I'd finish my work before it's due, I have a bad habit of delaying things. My main reason is the idea that I have time. Which is quite bad. Procrastination at its finest. But of course I don't do this all the time. There are those days where I would really procrastinate badly. Like there was once I remember I had lots of work to do and I was planning to do it on Saturday. I ended up watching 3 movies back to back on TV and wasting my Saturday away. At night I went for dinner with a friend and well, you guessed it, I didn't do anything back then.

And all because I told myself "I have time". Well I do have time, but imagine if I were to stick to my plans, I would have more time to do more things that I wanted to do! Without the guilt and so on. This is a perfect example of the Buddha's saying, "The problem is you think you have time".

There are also times when the opposite happens. This happens a lot after I'm back. So as you know I have things to do here every day. These days they have become a routine. So I usually plan out the things that I wanted to do in a day, and really try hard to stick to them. Sometimes it has become sort of a "fear" that I didn't get to finish them. Most of the time I overthink. I ended up rushing everything, only to realise that hey actually you don't have to rush them you know haha. 

Well, good thing is I got my shit done!

So yeah when people say "We only have 24 hours in a day", there are different responses that people react to this statement. Some would be like "Okay I need to rush everything! Do my things!" or "Well I have __ more hours to go lets chill". Well I've learned that it's really best to know the amount of things that you need to do and the amount of time you need to get them done. 

Make full use of these 24 hours. Because you are not doing so by rushing to get things done, nor wasting time away and not getting things done. Basically stop pretending you have time. And don't be ignorant at the amount of time you have. Life is short people! We only have 24 hours in a day!

No comments: