Wednesday 7 February 2018

Change Is The Only Constant

 Change // Constant

I went for the xx concert two weeks ago and I returned home from Jakarta via train. To get to my hometown I have to go to Bogor first from Jakarta, then catch a train to my hometown. On Wednesday, the day I returned home, I reached Bogor at an early time (my train is at 1 PM and I reached at 11). So I decided to go to a nearby mall in town for Starbucks to wait for time to pass by.

I've done this a few times before. Usually I'll take the angkot (a common public transportation in Indonesia) or just take an ojek (motorcycle taxi). However this time round, I tried using Grab! In Indonesia Grab doesn't just offer a ride-hauling service, but it also has Grab-bike. Which is essentially an online motorcycle taxi. There was a booth at the station where you can order a Grab-bike service.

So I tried it out. And it was pretty convenient, and cheap! A 2km ride (I think) costs 7000 Rupiah. That's like 70 cents heh. I have the Grab app on my phone, was using it while I was in Singapore. So I ordered another Grab Bike to go from the mall to the train station. Same, it was 7000 Rupiah.

While on the motorcycle, I took a random photo shown above. It was meant to be for my Insta-story. But after a few weeks I realised... This is actually a very interesting photo. As I was riding the motorcycle, I looked around me and see other forms of transportation that seem to slowly being replaced with this new format. Like the trishaw beside me, in the photo. The angkot, and the ordinary ojeks. And even people prefer to use Grab/Uber/Gojek instead of taxis now.

I used to feel concerned about these people, who offer transportation services in the "old" format. But then I'm reminded again of a quote by Muhammad Ali:"A man who views his life at fifty the same way as he did when he's twenty, has wasted thirty years of his life".

Time keeps on moving and life keeps on changing. When we don't keep up with it, or when we go "against" the flow of time, we'll find everything wrong with life. But when we go alone with it, things will kinda make sense eventually. Even though it's quite tough to do this.

When Uber/Grab/Gojek was launched in Indonesia, they receive quite a lot of backlash from people. Saying that these companies are trying to snatch their livelihood away. Well here there's a saying that goes "Rezeki sudah ada yang mengatur". Rezeki means livelihood/earning/blessing. The quote basically means your rezeki has been taken care of by someone/something (i.e: God).

I share the same view as them. But then again I'm reminded of the quote above. I always believe that as long as you do good, life will take care of your life and your livelihood. And I don't think they will run out of business either. Cause I'm pretty sure their service is still needed by others.

Change is truly the only constant in this world. 

Well this is just a really random thought of mine. I do enjoy my first Grab-bike experience though. I tried Grab in Singapore and Uber in Australia before and they're pretty convenient. I definitely will use Grab again in the future when I'm traveling out of town. Or basically I'll choose whatever form of transport that's most convenient for me haha. Alright that's all for this post!

No comments: