Saturday 21 December 2019

Letters

Letters

Continuing from my previous post, so I sent a package to Favela as a way of saying thank you. It's some Indonesian coffee, tea and chocolates! Perfect accompaniment to the cold winter month I guess? And also I wrote him a letter. Which... After writing it, I realised that it's been such a long time since I wrote one. I'm not sure if the cards I wrote for my friends can be considered letters haha.

So yes ask yourself this question: when was the last time you wrote a letter? 

The keyword here is wrote. Not type. I realised as we grow older, and we move into the digital world, pen and paper become quietly distant from us. We used to write birthday cards and now we post our wish on our friends' Facebook page, or send them via WhatsApp. And I don't think it's wrong, because I do it too. Mainly because of distance for me. We no longer send letters but email or even FB messages/WhatsApp messages. Once again, it's not wrong. Because it's easier and more convenient.

But I think pen and paper will never lost its charm. I'm pretty sure all of us feel different when we read a message on screen, and a message on paper/cards. It feels different and it feels like there's a deeper connection created between us and the sender. Although I wouldn't say that such feelings completely don't exist on digital messages. There are times where I feel touched from them too!

I hope we can make writing letters cool again. I think we should all go back to writing cards and giving them out to people. Keyboards are cool. But pen and papers were there before they're cool!

No comments: