Tuesday 15 July 2014

Compassion

Today is the 19th of the 6th Lunar Month, and the temple of my hometown celebrates the enlightenment day of Guan Yin, or also known as Avalokitesvara Boddhisatva, or Chenrenzig in Tibetan. Avalokitesvara is one of my favourite Boddhisatvas and I aim to be like him (or her, as potrayed in Chinese Buddhism). He taught me about compassion, because it is said that he vowed to free all sentinent beings from Samsara, or the sea of suffering.

I always have a tinge of fear when I look at his thousand-arms manifestation. But when I learned that he has a thousand arms, to reach out to all beings on earth to help them free from Samsara, I went really awed. There is a lot of manifestations of him, like a four-armed one and so on. I find it really great and noble how he vowed to save all sentinent beings from Samsara. I am definitely far to be like him, but I definitely can start small!

The 14th Dalai Lama says that if you want others to be happy, practise compassion. If you want to be happy, practise compassion. One of my favourite sutras to read is the great compassion mantra. Although yes I have to be honest because I am still learning to be compassionate and to invoke compassion within me and others. To be kind to others and not let them suffer. Happiness will come to you one day when you're being compassionate to everyone.

Although some of my friends did tell me, that it doesn't pay to be nice and kind. I suppose you can look at it on another side? My principle is that I will be kind to as many as people as possible. If they misuse my kindness then I suppose it's their loss. I've done what I think every human should do. If they mistook my kindness then truly speaking, it's their loss.

And I think at the end of the day, people will feel your kindness and compassion. And what I hope is that they will do the same to others, and the world will be a better place. Don't underestimate the power of being compassion. It can change the world!

Anyho, I came across with this during the recitation of the sutras.

 Birth - getting old - sickness - death

Well, let's face it. Our life is as short as the first 4 words. And I wish that we don't have to experience the third word. Let's just jump to the 4th. 

No comments: