Friday 4 July 2014

Life is short

I'm pretty sure we've heard the above title a lot of times in life. We all tell that to ourselves to remind us how really short life is. Well we never truly understand how short life is. But then again, we will never understand this, until one day where we're on the verge of dying and reaching the end of our lives, that we will realise how short life is.

For the past one week, someone I know quite closely entered the hospital as he was suffering from shortness of breath etc. He already has 2 nodules on his liver and at this age and condition, I really regard him as a strong person. It was found that he has an infection in his lungs and also, his lungs are filled with water. Thankfully his condition is getting better.

As I visit him again today... I truly wonder how will I be when I grow old.

I am imagining myself sitting down, or lying on my bed as I am preparing to leave this earth forever. I hope I'm not sick, if possible I want to die while sleeping or something. And when this happens, what will I think? How will I feel? Will I feel satisfied with my life because I have truly lived to the fullest? Will I really come to a great conclusion that life is really short.

I suppose, if I didn't have the chance to accomplish what I want to accomplish in life, I would feel that life is truly short. But if I did accomplish a lot, I would feel that life is a long journey and that I have walked far. So far, that I have enjoyed this life and I'm ready to move on. So yeah, I hope I can achieve what I want to achieve in life, and I hope I get to accomplish my life goals and dreams. I want to be so tired of this life, I can't wait to see the next!

So let me ask you a question. If I were to ask you to complete the sentence:
"Life is short, __________________________"

Without giving you time to think and compose an answer, like I just want you to complete the sentence with whatever thoughts that come to your mind, what would it be? I suppose this is also a question you can ask yourself to truly discover your passion. And with everyone having a different passion in life, this world becomes a beautifully interesting place!

If you were a traveler, you would want to travel as much as possible. If you're a writer, you would want to write a book, or as many books as possible. If you're a foodie, you would want to savour as much food around the world as possible. If you're a musician, you would want to play music or maybe join an orchestra. And so on, and so forth. And this world then becomes a truly wonderful place because it is filled with so much colour and vibrancy!

If I was given a chance to complete the sentence like 30 times, I can gladly do it, and I am even glad enough to like complete 100 more. But if I were to just be given one chance to complete the sentence... My answer would be...

"Life is short, so be the best human you can ever be"

Well it's kinda ambiguous... My answer. But well yup, be the best human you can ever be because this is your only chance to be one. And by being the best human I can be, I surely hope that I can help others, and also make a difference to others. I want to improve the lives of other people, who can improve their lives. Be it in terms of health, economics or psychologically. Mind, heart and body. I hope I can improve these in other people's lives.

Life is indeed a short great adventure. Along the way we kinda forget about this. We're lost in our own pursuit. Pursuit of what? No one knows. But I surely feel that somehow, we're always being chased by something, and we're always chasing something. Pursuing happiness, success and recognition? And I don't want to chase things in life.

Life is short indeed.

No comments: