Thursday 26 February 2015

Retro


So last week I ordered this awesome gadget I've been wanting to get for months (or even years actually). Yup it's a Discman! And believe it or not it's been ten years since I used one of these. Well to be honest I'm actually still using this when I was in secondary one. Until my sister gave me an iPod as a birthday present and.... Yes. I didn't use it anymore. And actually I don't know where my old Discman is now. It's definitely not in my house. Or maybe it is hmm. But definitely not usable anymore.

My brother and eldest sister owned a Discman too last time. And being the youngest child, I always get these "inherited" stuff from my siblings. I've been using my sister's Discman when I was in primary school. I can still remember listening to it while traveling to Orchard, or Changi airport. And back in 2004/5 era, MP3 players began to appear. So when people saw me using the Discman on the MRT, I got the stares. Maybe I should try using this in public and see people's reaction mwahaha.

And then yes, my sister gave me an iPod touch for my birthday (and a gift for doing so well in secondary school) and I stopped using the Discman. But don't get me wrong, I've been collecting CDs since primary school, up till now. My favourite artists and bands, and everything else. Even though I don't listen to them on the go using a Discman. Because I still believe that owning a physical copy of your favourite music is better than just.... Owning files on your computer. Although I'm not going to be hypocritical and say that I don't import these albums into iTunes. Yes I still do. But it feels great to own a physical copy of these music! I'm a proud owner of a shelf of music CDs hoho.

I've been listening to my favourite albums again on this Discman I got for myself whenever I'm doing work, or at night. Sometimes I miss listening to some of my old bands and I just listen to them on my Discman. Which gives a very sentimental and warm feeling inside, whenever I do it.

We live in such a digital era now. CDs are being replaced by downloads. And Discmans are being replaced with MP3 players. There's song-streaming websites and apps now too, so that you can enjoy music on the go. CD-selling companies are closing down, some bands no longer release CD albums but just downloads. The good thing is that vinyl is making a comeback and musicians start to release their albums in vinyls again. And yes I too want to get myself a vinyl player actually. But I've been keeping this on hold because there's no place in my room, and also no time to listen to them. Maybe when I live in my own house, I will definitely get it and play music during night time.

I won't be hypocritical too, to say that I use my Discman more than my iPod/iTunes. I still listen to my iPod touch before I sleep, and my iTunes when I use the computer. But to me I still and will always collect the CDs of my favourite musicians and bands. There's a sentimental value to them that you can't and won't feel when you don't collect the physical formats of your favourite music.

We may live in a digital era, but I choose to be a sentimental person in this era! :P

I'm not sure how the future of music industry is going to be like. Maybe CDs will be gotten rid off forever in the next few years, and musicians will just release an MP3 format where we can download from. Maybe Discman will cease in production. And Apple will rule the music-listening world. Of course, technology made our lives better with increased convenience. But sentimentalism, musical pride and "real" ownership of your favourite music will not be present.

It's kinda saddening to think about this. But till the day when CDs are gone for good in life, I won't stop collecting the CD albums of my favourite musicians.

No comments: