Saturday 21 February 2015

Two worlds

I came across this photo taken by the awe-inspiring photographer behind Humans of New York, Brandon, whom I've been following on Facebook for about 2 years now. You can see the photo here from his Tumblr. This photo is something that I'm pretty sure all (or most) Asian kids have experienced once in their lives. And I have blogged about this last year in April about different generations.

I share the same feelings for her regarding the matter. Although to be frank, my parents never commented or talked about this issue with me. And also I have never opened up to my parents, talking with them about my passions and stuff. At least they know that I enjoy playing music and taking photographs. Obvious from my photographs-filled room and weird taste in music. And also with the fact that I take photos anywhere and everywhere whenever I have the chance to.

I often wondered the same question as the girl in the HONY photo. Why (traditional) Asian parents don't really agree with their kids pursuing their dreams in the arts industry, or basically any field that doesn't produce enough money. But I always remember that our ancestors had went through difficult times bringing their children up. And they simply don't want their children, grandchildren, great grandchildren to experience the same thing. Hence they expected them to have a stable job where they can support their family. Anything else that doesn't support, is unacceptable.

But hopefully as our lives get better along the way, we can all break through this cycle.

To the girl in the photo, I wish her all the best. And I hope she will find a way in which she can reach her dreams without feeling estranged by her family and parents.

I have learned from last year that you should never stop doing what you love even if you don't do it for a living. Never stop what you love doing just because you're not good at it. Don't stop playing music just because you're not a musician or just because you don't belong to a music ensemble. Don't stop writing just because you're not a writer and no one reads your stories. Don't stop taking photographs just because you're not a photographer working for somebody else or working for yourself.

Because your passion will find a way. Or you will find your way slowly, through your passion. And lets face it, life is too short. So please, do things you love doing.

No comments: