Sunday 13 June 2010

Sweden, oh Sweden


Shot taken at Norway
Photography by my sister
I wish I could feel freedom everyday.

Exactly 365 days ago, I was in Sweden enjoying its summer. Its cold wind blowing over my face. It's rain showering my body with its droplets as cold as ice. I was in Sweden with my sister. In Professorslingan. The place where I stayed.

And I miss it sooooo much.

I really really miss it.

Last year felt like yesterday. I could still remember those days, where I was so stressed when settling with my Schengen Visa. Those days where I would come back to United Square just to complete my visa application.

Then come that day, where I received my Visa on my passport. It was one of the happiest day of my life. I went straight to book my flight and just get so excited to go to Sweden!

And finally that day, 11th June, was the day where I went to Sweden, on my own. I could still remember how lost I was in Thailand for a transit. And how happy I was in my flight, even though I was deprived from sleep and it was a night flight.

And as I arrived... I was the happiest man on Earth. Finaly I arrived in a country out of Southeast Asia. I met my sister and she took me to a train ride to her place. I could still remember the route and everything. The look of the train, the majestic T-Centrallen.

Norway was next. I couldn't wait for it either. I remember how early we left house for Norway. With only my Crumpler and my sis' backpack we headed for the airport. Norway is a beautiful country. Its fjords are breathtaking. Its view are amazing. Everything was nice.

I remember the mid-summer festival where we went to Vaxholm, The small islan on the Swedish archipelaego. How sunny it was, and how crowded it was. Where it suddenly rained a hailstorm and we were there laughing and mystified by our first hailstorm.

And that's when I lost my sweater.

And the day I hated finally came. The day I have to return back to Singapore. It was really a sad thing to do. I remember having no appetite at all during lunch. I could not finish my lunch and it was really sad. The feeling. The one week I had was never enough. And I know.

I am always hungry for more.

It's been a year since I went to Sweden and Norway. It's been 365 days since I missed its splendour and grandeur. It's been a year since I've been to (so far) the most beautiful country I have ever visited. And I know, and I promise that I would return again some day.

My trip taught me something which I learnt just last night. Last night before I slept, I remembered that yesterday was the day I reached Sweden a year ago. I felt this sudden gush of sadness running inside me. I don't know why but I just felt sad. Perhaps it's the memory, perhaps it's something else.
And that something else is what I called:

Taste of freedom.

In that one week where I was in Norway, I have never felt so much freedom in my life. Imagine this. Two people travelling in a country they didn't know. No one bothering, only the map could help. I felt so much freedom and so much thrill. It is really an amazing feeling. No knowing where to go and taking the risk just to go to places we want to see.

From the trip I learnt. I learnt that one should not waste the taste of freedom. Freedom to me is one of the most valuable things in life that one could posess. Of course, health is above all else. But freedom is powerful. It's more powerful than money, it's more powerful that happiness. For without freedom, you may not get all this things.

Sigh I'm really emo right now. Because I am really sad and despaired to know what lies ahead of me. A 10 day holiday with reports and projects accompanying me. I hope and I wish that soon. Another of that dream holiday would come to me.

And as I said in my Sweden trip post last year.

I promise I would return to this country once more.

No comments: