Tuesday 24 January 2012

Year of the dragon

My awesome family
That made CNYs awesome

Hello! Once again I'm currently at Jakarta Airport's Starbucks, which I was last here 22 days ago! And yes today we came too early again. But oh well, it's VERY early! Believe it or not we reached here 4 hours before our flight. That's mega early right. Anyway we went to have lunch and just waste our time there talking and chatting. Then we decided to go into the check in desk. Now we're just waiting for time to fly again.

Oh yes! I forgot to wish you....

Happy Chinese New Year! Year of the dragon FTW


Hahaha, yep. May the sorrows of the year of the rabbit be drowned in this year of the water dragon, while keeping those great lessons learnt and awesome moments spent afloat and flowing! Very cheesy I know, but poetic too right (Y).

Anyway my CNY celebrations back in my hometown was really awesome with my cousins around. Except the fact that on the first day it was really quiet. Cause some of my cousins left in the morning, leaving only a few others in the afternoon (as they left today). And in the afternoon it was just spent with some guests arriving and a few of my relatives for house visits. Was kinda busy serving cakes and more heh.

And some of my relatives came with their children whom I've never met before (Y). They're really cute cause they're so young haha. You know what, CNY always makes me feel old. One because I feel that we have all grown up. Just being surrounded with my grown-up cousins already tells me how fast time has flown. And two, because yesterday I found out I'm now officially an uncle! :D My nephew is really cute. Even though he's shy, he doesn't mind me playing and carrying him haha (he's only 2 btw). And he was sitting on my lap. Even though he's pretty shy.

I'll be a great uncle oh yeah! (Y)

And then in the evening we went to my grandma's house again. Good to see she's still in good health! Yesterday was REALLY cold I tell you. At night the temperature dips to 18 degrees! And in the afternoon it was 24. The win was really strong, and it was raining in the morning and late afternoon. Very very cold. The wind was really scary though. Pretty strong.

Yup, that's how my CNY went by. Pretty fast huh? I reached here back in Saturday, three days ago. And now I'm going back to Singapore once again. Oh well as the saying goes, one forgets time when they're having fun. And sure I did have fun when I'm back there.

I guess CNY is something that I truly enjoy and look forward to. Not the ang paos, not the new shirts etc. But the fact that all of my family gather together for that one night, or at least that few days. Thankfully this year's CNY falls on a Monday so my cousin could come on the Saturday and so we have more days to spend together with. And I'm even more thankful with the fact that I can go back for CNY for the past 6 or 7 years. Since primary 6 I remember. Or sec one.

As we all grow up, we realise we're growing away from the thing we all start from - our family. This is a fact we all can't escape from. One day we'll all get married and have our own partner, and live away from our family (except for a few handfuls whom parents live with them still). Even before our marriage, sometimes we get busy with school, friends, work, and so many more things.

And we realise as we grow up, we look for our family more. It's like it is something that we always seek and we always return to when we go back. Just look at it this way, honestly speaking, when I was young, the thing that makes me so hyped up for CNY is the red packet, the fact that I'll get a new shirt, and of course my cousins coming here.

As I grow up, like now, the thing I really look forward to for CNY is less of the two things but more of the fact that my cousins, aunts and uncles are coming together back in my hometown, back in my grandmother's house. All the laughters, the chatters and the food brought us closer together, make everything seems so fun and warm. It's something that may not occur once every 6 months or so.

I guess we all agree that it's pretty hard for one's family to gather all as one. Everyone, together, in any event. Sometimes we have people busy with work, or maybe busy with other things. Thankfully none of this happen in my family heh. I guess I must also thank the date at which CNY fall on this year. It's a long weekend!

So yeah, that's why CNY is really something I look forward to. And why do I look forward to it. I can't imagine a CNY without my whole family around. It's not CNY at all, if that happens.

Funny how when we grow up, we miss on the things, the usual things that we always have when we're young. I guess as we grow up, we start to realise the values we hold in life. What should we treasure and what should we always hold on to. So I guess, don't think of these too late. Time if flying at a rate no one can comprehend. One snap, and well you might miss those things in life, which you might have wanted and loved the most.

Alright I guess that's all for now. I should start heading to my gate now. See ya back in Singapore! And once again happy Chinese New Year! :)

Someday...

No comments: