Sunday 17 June 2012

Contemplation of Impermanance

 Live the moment

Alright, I'm going to blog now, I can finally blog now and yes haha. Bad news is I'm feeling unwell for the past few days now. Can sense that the flu bug is coming :/ I feel flu-ey and heaty. The weather has been really hot the past few days, or even in fact for the whole week this week. It's not the humidity but just the heat. Even though I'm back at home, with aircon, I feel hot. Must be the heatiness you know. From all this hot weather.

Anyway today was another great Sunday, minus the unwell part. The whole day I was just feeling sick. I hope this can go away pretty soon please. I don't like the feeling. Same thing, I began the day by going to the temple. It's a decision I made that I'm going there every Sunday hehe. Unless I have something on Sundays. And yup. I was late today so I missed Puja but I made it for the chanting hehe.

Usual shopping and lunch, and well I like to go to Starbucks after lunch now! And write my weekly journal now. It failed so bad. I'm supposed to write this daily ITP journal thing for myself. But nine weeks, 45 weekdays, and I only wrote 4 entries. I usually write it on a weekly basis anyway so yeah. Nowadays I just make it into like some reflection journal. I like it.

I didn't run today, cause of the heat and also just me feeling kinda unwell. So I decided to pamper myself at home by watching TV, surfing the net and so on. It's great haha. I realised it's been such a long time since I can do this. The weekends are packed in June for me. Can't wait to have those weekends where I can just unwind and have all the time to myself. And do the things I want to do.

Nevertheless... The weekends in June are fun so yep! Hehe.

While in the temple today, I came across the phrase "Contemplation of Impermanence" during the chanting. It's good to know what does the chanting mean, as they put it on top of the verse.

Then as I was on the bus back to Holland, I kept on thinking to myself, repeating those three words. Contemplation if Impermanence. Impermanence, is basically the fact that nothing in life is permanent. It's a bittersweet truth that we all have to accept. Nothing lasts forever. All good and bad things will one day come to an end.

I always try to live on Buddha's teaching of living the moment earnestly and fully (even though honestly speaking, it is a very difficult thing to do). Not to worry of the future, not to dwell in the past, not to be hurt by the past and to just be hold back by it. But to live the moment, the present, to the fullest. And I always believe that it's true.

Linking back to the phrase Contemplation of Impermanence, I realise how the two teachings go hand-in-hand together.

Impermanence to me means that nothing lasts forever. Not all good things stay forever. And at the same time not all bad things will remain either. It will all come to an end. And to know that they will not remain forever, then we can do this, can't we?

As we know that one day our life will end, we live life to the fullest.
As we know that one day our suffering will end, we push and fight on.
And at the end of the day, we'll remember these days as bittersweet memories we cal all smile to.

True isn't it?

So yeah people, the next time you're doing something, be it traveling, doing exams, performing, cooking, writing and so on, play it with all your heart. If you're going through a rough day, a bad period, a tough moment in your life and so on, press on and don't ever give up. Cause at the end of the day, we will all come to our finishing line in life. And all these happy and bad days will turn into memories.

Life will never be complete without its down moments. There are the bad weeks, there are the good weeks. The happy days and the not so happy days. The days where we wish will never end, the months where we wish will end as quickly as possible. But who are we to choose where we want to be, to control time and to jump time? All we can do is to live, NOW. To live life. And though it's tough. It's happy. Life will still move on. It will still press on.

Today I learnt a new lesson of Buddha, that I can apply with another lesson I've been trying to apply. I hope I can apply this. And live my life to an even high level, higher definition of "fullest". Last week wasn't a really good week for me. It has now come to an end. Tomorrow another week begins, and I hope it will be a better week.

I guess Buddha's lesson of living in the moment is really good for me. For a sentimental guy like me. Well I know I shouldn't dwell in the past. But I hope through living the moment to the fullest, I can then smile to the memories of today in the future. You know :)

Good night. Here's to an awesome week 10 :)

No comments: