Thursday 6 September 2012

Making music, making friendship

 Because we're connected with one language.
Music.

Well today I must say is an unforgettable day of my life! Well the evening part that is. Today SP symphonic band had an exchange with the Baden-Wurttemberg Youth Wind Orchestra from Germany! They're in Singapore for their Asian tour, and apparently Singapore is their last stop before heading back to Germany. So they did an exchange with us and I must say, it was an eye-opener and a great experience that I'm glad to be a part of!

So thank you everyone who has made this event possible, and successful like Edwin and Huili who were helping us with the food, and also all the committee! Great job :) Without you guys, the event won't be successful eh. Yay! :)

Yup so basically we had sectionals with them, playing overture 1812. Really great of Marco to lead us with sectionals. It's good to exchange information on how we do sectionals and practice etc. The 3rd clarinetists from the band were Amelie and Hendrik who are really friendly as well. It's their first time playing 1812 and they picked up really fast! Really awed by their skills man.

Then we had light refreshments and at the same time to also mingle with them. Quite funny how they made weird faces when I offered them durian puff hahaha. Well it was really nice though, they are all friendly, talking with them was fun as well. I've always enjoyed making friends with people from different parts of the world, talking with them, and asking about their cultures and life in the country. It opens up more of my atlas and we exchange information too!

Playing 1812 with them was really fun, for a first timer, I think they are really good! Besides a few wrong entries but the rest is awesome. Now I really can't wait to perform that on the Esplenade's stage haha. 2 more months! Oh gosh I hope we can pull through hehe.

One particular member that I truly enjoy talking to was a fellow 3rd clarinetist, Hendrik! Haha. He's really friendly and awesome, we chatted along the way to W10 for sectional, and back to the hall. And also during the interaction section as well. And then at the end of the whole session we were still chatting haha. He was asking the pieces we're going to play and he knows them! Dona Nobis Pacem, Mars and Jericho (not sure if we're still playing Jericho though).

And we were singing to the tunes of Jericho and telling me which parts I need to look for. And he loves some parts of the song too. We talked about so many things, weather, food, traveling and so on haha. The most meaningful thing was though, at the end of the day he came to me and shake my hands and wish me all the best for my studies and the concert. That was really nice of him. And I shook his hands too, wishing him all the best for university hehe.

Well it was really a wonderful evening I must say. Made new friends, made music with them. And I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did too! As Janis said just now, we all speak a common language called Music! Which is true. And I do hope the memories will go for a long way for them, cause it will definitely be, for me. Oh man, I really feel happy to be a member of SPSB, having this exchange is just an awesome experience that I will never forget!

So once again thank you to everyone who has made this event a success!

Alright that's all for the hype of today haha. Today...  Was kinda stressful in the day. But the evening just went awesome. I would say this week has been a long one. I can't wait to rest in the weekend... Though I have Safra! Hahaha. Oh well at least I can chill maybe? On Saturday hehe. Alright heading to bed after this awesome day. Guten Abend!

Music connects, music, joy.

No comments: