Sunday 29 April 2012

US Trip Part 1 - Chicago, The Windy City

So after a long time since my trip to the US, here I am going to blog about my trip! So I went to 4 states there. Chicago, New York, Washington and Boston. I spent the most time in Chicago. So I'll begin with Chicago.

As the name that she holds, Chicago is indeed a windy city. Not windy to an extent where it's like blowing scarily haha. But it's windy and nice. Cooling spring weather that you'll enjoy. I find it a very nice city to walk about. Well I stayed in Downtown Illinois so I'm surrounded by tall buildings and so on. It feels damn good to just walk around the blocks, looking at these buildings and so on. Very inspiring, walking in big cities. Urban inspiration!

This is the metro or also known as the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority). I love riding these trains. It's a different feeling from riding the MRT (umm duh haha). Though the trains look more "rustic" and "old" as compared to Singapore's MRT, I like riding it. People coming in and out from work, going home. And some youths would listen to their MP3s as they entered the train. And different music can be heard. Somehow I listened to lots of Jazz from their blasting headphones. Very nice huh. Well even though I didn't really take the CTA often, but those few rides that I took were really nice. Sadly I didn't have the chance to write inside it! I think it'll be an inspiring moment haha. And anyway, most of the places are within walking distance. That's why I decided to walk and not take the train :P

Food wise, what can you say? I'm a food lover so yeah, I really enjoyed trying the different food the city has to offer. I didn't take pictures of ALL the food that I ate but these are some of them which I ate. The first photo is Truffly Mac and Cheese. Yes you heard me right. TRUFFLE. It's so yummy! And it's US$7.99 a plate which I find worth it and affordable for a truffle mac. And I know this food from Food Network haha. Felt so lucky to have found this and eat this!

And the second photo is taken in my favourite Mexican food (I think it's like a Mexican food chain) called Chipotle! You get to choose burrito, bowl or tacos. I always choose bowl and I'll get: rice, carnitas (pork), guacamole, salsa and black beans. They're soooo gooood. I ate there like three times in Chicago haha. My meal would be completed by a bottle of apple juice. Oooh so yummy. Given a chance I'll try more culinary goodness of Chicago! :)


I visited two museums in Chicago. The picture on the left is Chicago's Museum of Contemporary Arts (MCA) and I love this place! It's so inspiring. Well I'm not an artsy person but I truly enjoy looking at the brilliant and inspiring art pieces that this nice contemporary museum has to offer. Whenever I go to museums, a wave of inspiration just hit me like that. Snap!



The picture on the right is Chicago's Arts Institute (it's spelt as institve though). Another nice museum with an awesome interior design as you can see from the photo. Just a sad thing was that the photography section of the exhibits was closed as it's under renovation T_T but the other exhibits are as lovely :)

This was taken from John Hancock's observatory tower! That water body is actually Lake Michigan. I thought it was a beach but well Chciago is located beside Lake Michigan so yup. It's lovely cause you get to see the 360 degree view of the windy city. Plus I was lucky for it was a fine day so the view was really good. I think it's a must to come here. It's like the empire building of Chicago heh. But of course there are other observatories like Shear's tower which my sis said it's also cool. But we didn't get the chance to go there so John Hancock it is then! The lift to go up is pretty fast ^^
This is Chicago's famous Navy Pier and I was once again lucky to have such a fine day here! The sky was just lovely and the weather was just fine. Well it has a mini "theme park" by the lake. I love it cause it gives me a sense that it's summer (but with 20 degree celsius lower haha). I didn't take these rides because the Ferris wheel was on maintenance, while I think it was too cold to take the swing. But nevertheless, I love taking photos of this place. And just see the smiles of people on that beautiful Wednesday :)
And this! Is my favourite place in Chicago. It's the famous Millennium Park! And that's the famous sculpture called The Bean. My friends were telling me they saw this in the movie "The Vow" haha. Well it's a nice park and an inspiring place to just chill, sit down on the bench and as for me - to write. On the last day of my stay in Chicago I actually spent like 2 hours here. Taking photos and writing, alone. It was one of the most joyful and free moments of my travel, to just jot down my thoughts of this windy city in front of the bean! :)
Another favourite place of mine in Chicago is actually... A Starbucks in West Ohio Street! Haha. Which is just behind my hotel, like across a block. I always go here after a day of walking and travelling. I'll get my usual Chai Tea Latte to warm me up, then take out my journal (yes I used the notebook given from Poly50 haha) to just write down stuff. I wrote poems, and just scramblings and so on. And I will also take my diary to write. the day's happening. I love this Starbucks cause it's near, convenient and also the staffs are friendly! Like I've been going there for 3 days in a row and the cashier actually remembers me and "Hey it's you again! How is it going?". Wow right? And plus the place is nice too, and inspiring. And she remembers my order of Chai Tea latte haha. There was once when I ordered a venti instead of a grande and she asked me "not a grande this time?" Haha. So friendly of her :)
This is the "holy trinity" of my travel. My camera, music, and a travel journal. This was taken on my last day, writing my thoughts in front of The Bean at Millennium Park. I really loved it there! Was just listening to my surrounding as I was writing that post on my journal. Just lovely. Everyone around me was either reading, writing too or taking photos. It was a fine day, everything was just lovely!

So that's all for my trip to Chicago. Of course I have more photos but I'm just lazy to upload them here. Check my Facebook for more photos! And I'm uploading this soon to my Flickr so you can check them out there too. And yeah this is another photo of my diary and The Bean. See how inspiring it is to write in front of it right? All in all Chicago is a nice city. It has... Sort of the same feel to New York, but less "hectic" and "bustling" as the Empire State. I love walking through the tall buildings she has, and also the awesome blue skies and winds. Thankfully the weather was fine there, so far. I really love it. And also the people... So friendly! Like strangers would start a conversation with you. And one thing I recognise is that the people here know how to dress! If you enjoy walking in the urban landscape, Chicago is awesome for you. Well what else can I say, I hope I can come back to this windy city once again. And I really miss the weather and the friendly people there. One day I'll see you again! :)

No comments: