Thursday 15 April 2010

Flag day

Reach the sky, like you reach the heavens.
Photography by Yours Truly.
Need to go for a photography session bad :(

Today was flag day. And uhh "business" was bad for me haha. Let me tell you the whole story.

Met with 1B22 at Outram and we headed out to start our flag day. Russ, Jian Ming, Stanley, Ka Yee and I went together and we decided to split. I didn't know where we went but well I was circling around Chinatown area. Let me tell you my route.

First I went to Outram, then to Chinatown, then to Clarke, then back to Outram and then I decided to walk around Chinatown for I don't know how long. Well I firstly thought that it was a brilliant idea to do that. And it was a good strategy. Well not for long haha.

Met Justing, Gary and Thwe Ni in which I took a break then. Thwe Ni was also having no luck like me too. Ashley called and I decided to meet with him. And let me tell you something super hilarious!

At first place Ashley and I decided to walk back to Outram. So I "lead" him back and guess what. We made a huuuuuuge circle and we walked back to the same place we started! It's so funny and tiring at the same time. And now we have to walk back to Chinatown to go by Ashley's way. And well it worked haha. Sorry Ash!

Met Russ, Stan and a new friend Amir hehe at Outram. We decided to head for lunch before continuing and we decided to go to Macdonald. Ate and talked for a while before we decided to go head back to Outram and try our luck again. I decided to stop while Russ and Amir continued doing flag day.

And now let me tell you what I've learnt from flag day. Do NOT JUDGE people by their looks. Somehow it is those aunties and uncles who are kind enough to donate to us, instead of those middle-aged people. And those businessmen and Caucasians are also the same. I was so impressed by some of the uncles and aunties I've met.

One uncle donated 4 times. Twice to me and twice to Ash. He said one for me, and one for you. An auntie APPROACHED me to donate instead of me approaching her. And she even told me that that was her fifth time donating. And Indian uncle shouted at me (I thought I was going to get scolding) and... Took out a coin to donate me.

And? Most of the middle-aged people donated to me, while others simply "diao" me or rolled their eyes at me or best one: Ignored me totally, without a smile, a head-shake, a no-signal, nothing.

And all I could do is to smile at them. Somehow I wonder, I think the only people who deserve my smile and my thank you are those who either refused to donate politely and most importantly, those who have donated to me!

But anyway, I'm not angry or whatsoever cause I've learnt the morale behind flag day.

Since flag day is a charity act in which we raise funds for those in need, I learnt that it is important to help them. Flag day is like symbolism to me. The act of flag day is like a symbol of how hard it is for those who are in need to earn money. Especially in this difficult time. So somehow I don't mind doing flag day, cause at least I know I'm helping someone somehow somewhere :D

Alright that's all for today. Last day of orientation for me tomorrow. International Student Orientation haha. Going there with Sem, Kelvin and Thwe Ni. Not sure about the rest. Hopefully it's gonna be awesome fun! See ya

It's not how much you give. It's hoe much you're willing to give.

No comments: