Wednesday 28 December 2016

Great Music of 2016

 
 Thank you for the wonderful music!

It's that time of the year again! Time to share with you some of the great music that I discovered in 2016. I think 2016 is quite an awesome year for music, but 2015 was kinda better heh. Anyway I didn't really discover lots of music in December... Except for Enigma's song Amen (featuring Aquilo!) and also I just received my copy of Olafur Arnald's Island Song album and it's so lovely!

Alright here goes! As usual I will begin with the great artists/bands I discovered, then my favourite albums, then favourite songs, and a new addition: Acts that I look forward to in 2017! :)

Again, in no particular order. Also PS: Some albums are released in 2015

Great Artists/Bands I discovered in 2016:
[] Troye Sivan [] The Mary Onettes [] Bipolar Sunshine [] Charlie Lim [] Disco Hue [] dne []
[] Pillar Point [] Classmate Journal [] Men I Trust [] Muna [] Christine and The Queens []

Once again gotta thank YouTube for being an awesome place of music discovery. I discovered most of these new artists and bands via YouTube! And also via other bands/musicians that I've been following on social media. For example I found out about Christine and The Queens thanks to Shura! Here's to more artists and bands discovery in 2017 mwahaha. I'm so glad to have discovered them! 

Great Albums of 2016:
[] Blue Neighbourhood by Troye Sivan [] Headcase/Hard To Read double EP by Daywave []
[] All My Demons Greeting Me As A Friend by Aurora [] Everything and Nothing by Hammock []
[] Time/Space double EP by Charlie Lim [] Yoncalla by Yumi Zouma [] Nothing's Real by Shura []
[] Love You To Death by Tegan and Sara [] Futures EP by PREP [] Roosevelt by Roosevelt []
[] West of The West by Goldroom [] Raja Kelana by Mondo Gascaro [] 
[] Two Vines by EOTS [] Oh My My by One Republic [] Island Songs by Olafur Arnalds []

Best Album of The Year: Nothing's Real by Shura

Hands down the best album of 2016 in my opinion haha. Well I really really love this album. I love Shura's music as well, and she seems to get better and better with every release. Ever since I discovered her 2 years ago, I know her debut album is gonna be so awesome. To be honest this album from her feels like a piece of myself that I lost, and discovered again; it is my escape. I am very excited for her second album! And I am so glad to have the opportunity to catch her live at Neon Lights! :) 

Great Songs of 2016:
[] Youth by Troye Sivan [] I Went Too Far by Aurora [] Conqueror by Aurora []
[] Daydreamer by Bipolar Sunshine [] Love Is Blind by Lapsley [] Dove by Pillar Point []
[] I Only Tell The Truth by Charlie Lim [] Knots by Charlie Lim [] Boyfriend by T&S []
[] Make It Up by Shura [] What's It Gonna by Shura [] Tilted by Christine & The Queens []
[] Who's Got You Singing Again by PREP [] Text From Sweden by Yumi Zouma []
[] The Greatest by Sia [] Silhouettes by Goldroom [] Deacon's Summer by Mondo Gascaro []
[] High And Low by EOTS [] Fever by Roosevelt [] Bonfires by The diogenes Club []
[] Winterbreak by Muna [] Gotta Find You by Disco Hue [] Ovedur by Sigur Ros []
[] Amen by Enigma [] Lauren by Men I Trust [] Meeting Points at 2 AM by dne []
[] Kids by One Republic [] Wherever I Go by One Republic []

Favourite Song of The Year: ........................................

Okay I really don't have one favourite song of the year. I have lots of favourite songs! Haha. But well just to name a few that I've been listening throughout the year, it'll be:

I Only Tell The Truth by Charlie Lim
Dove by Pillar Point
Make It Up by Shura

Also I would like to make a special mention to Coldplay's song A Head Full of Dreams, which has been in my playlist from December 2015 till now haha. I really really love this song. I think it should be my song of the year. It always gives me hope, and it is a reminder not to give up really. This song soundtracked my trip to Tibet. And it will always remind me of that amazing journey!

And last but not least, here are some of the acts that I look forward to in 2017!
- Debut album from: Aquilo, Muna and PREP (maybe?)
- Kaleidoscope EP from Coldplay
- New albums from: Asgeir, Oh Wonder, Kings of Convenience, Lorde, Lucy Rose
- Potential new albums from: Sam Smith, Sigur Ros, Chvrches, the diogenes club, Years and Years,

Okay these are just some of my predictions, I'm still unsure if the above artists are releasing new albums. I know Asgeir is coming up with something in 2017, Oh Wonder is recording their 2nd album? And KOC had just created an intimate concert of new materials last month I think. I'm really looking forward to new songs and albums from these musicians! I feel that every music is worth the wait, because they worked so hard to write and produce their music. So I'm just patiently waiting! :)

Alright that's all from me in this year's music! I am so thankful to discover new artists and bands, and so happy for the release of these albums this year. Thank you so much for filling this year with wonderful music, for being my escape, and as usual, thank you always for keeping me sane.

Here's to more beautiful discoveries in 2017! See you again in next year's review mwahaha.

No comments: