Wednesday 14 December 2016

The Greatest?

So I discovered this wonderful song by Sia about two months ago and whew, I feel it's such a great song. Emotionally moving, and just so uplifting. I almost cried when I was watching the video (referring to the Orlando Shooting reference) and I'm so touched by this gesture really.

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful song and I'm still listening to it on my playlist now.

However sometimes when I'm listening to the song, it got me thinking...

Do I want to be the greatest?

I think we grow up thinking and hoping to be someone great. Sometimes I even feel like we're being trapped in this rat race we humans created. We have to be successful, we have to be rich, we have to be happy, we have to be this and that. When I was young, I want to be like these too. I want to be a really rich person so that I can have a big house and buy whatever things I want.

As I grow older however, this desire becomes lesser and lesser. I don't want to be rich. I don't want to have a huge house. I don't want to be overly successful. Perhaps it is because I learned the word gratitude. I think gratitude should encompass everything that we have and that we are in life. Not just a measurement of our materialistic possession. How we feel about ourselves, and so on.

Now I don't want to have a huge house. A simple house will do that puts a roof above my head, shield me from the weather and make me feel comfortable. I don't want to be rich, I just hope I have enough money to keep me going in life, to feed myself, and most importantly I hope I have enough money to help others in need. I'm not even interested in expensive cars. I'm happy with my family's Yaris.

I don't want to be very successful. Just successful to keep the business going, feed and give livelihood to my workers, and when the time comes, successful enough to expand the business. I think non-materialistic gratitude is a bit more difficult to "measure" because I feel that it's pretty difficult to express them in words. It's something that we have to experience and go through.

How about happiness? I don't want to be the happiest people on earth. I want to feel enough happiness to keep my mind healthy and to share it with others. I want to feel enough sadness to teach myself that there's no point in dwelling in it, and to not inflict it to others. My motto has changed now. I no longer want to be the happiest person on earth. But I want to become a really mindful person. 

I'll talk about this one on another post.

All in all, I don't want to be the greatest. 

I just want to be enough.

No comments: