Wednesday 21 October 2020

Connection


Still continuing on my vegan post streak - Earthling Ed just uploaded this video yesterday and wow I think it is so beautifully written! I think this is truly a video where people can hopefully make the connection and give veganism a try. Most of the time, I feel that people don't have this connection and they fall out of their new lifestyle. That's okay, just hope they can get back on track mwahaha.

Personally I am an ethical vegan. I'm vegan for the animals. And I think this is the highest reason one will go vegan. Not trying to brag of course but yeah, as an ethical vegan we will learn to value life over taste. I realised that it is the ethical vegans who are always on track of their mission. Some people go vegan for health and environmental reasons and that's okay too. But there's a high chance they might drop out. Cause once they hit their "goal", they'll stop reasoning with why they go vegan.

Or worst, some people go vegan cause they think it's cool. Then they do it wrongly and they have health problems and then they quit and they blame it on the diet. Sounds familiar.

When I went vegetarian 5 years ago, many people ask me how long will I be doing this. When I told them forever they think I'm crazy! And sometimes when I met other people whom I haven't met in a long time, they will ask me "are you still a vegetarian?" and I'm like yes? And the same question followed, how long more will I stay like this. And I tell them forever haha.

I am a believer in the "baby step" approach to veganism. You can start with 2 meatless meals a month, then a week, then 3 days a week. Or perhaps you just want to cut out red meat, then chicken, then fish, then eggs and dairy and so on. As long as your end goal is veganism. I think with one less animal products being eaten be it for one meal a day, or a week, I think it's a win already no?

I think most people fall our from veganism because they don't have a connection to why the go vegan in the first place. There's no sense of purpose to why they should keep going vegan. But I think if you do it for the animals, you will end up to keep going. Cause a life of a sentient being, in my opinion, is not trade-able for their taste that only lingers in my mouth for.... 10-15 seconds?

And you will educate yourself on how you can take care of your body too. Going vegan while recklessly ruining your body isn't good too. A lot of people simply blame veganism for the health problems many ex-vegans face. But they don't dig deeper into the reason why. Their eating habits and so on. There are many articles proving we can thrive on a vegan diet. Just gotta read them up.

In the comment sections of social media platforms, I will always find a comment that goes like "I went vegan and it wasn't working for me". But when asked why, or how their diet goes, no reply would be returned sometimes. There are one or two comments that say like they've been following strictly but still ended up on them having health issues. But then again I'm not sure if they seek professional help from doctors or nutritionists, or they're just self-diagnosing themselves.

I've only been vegan for a year so I can't say much. But I've been feeling normal, there's nothing wrong with me. Blood levels are normal too (I have low HDL levels but that's normal for vegans. It's the vegan paradox they call it). I always believe nature has provided us with everything. And humans have the ability to process and turn them into things that can sustain us, and mare us thrive.

Yes in the past the human species hunted and consume animals. But the way we treat our animals, and the way we produce them for food isn't natural at all. And if we have the option to kill or not to kill these sentient beings, then why choose kill? We no longer live in the stone age where we have to hunt to survive. Now we're surrounded by choices that we can make conveniently. Supermarkets, farmer's markets and so on. And now they're even available online! Haha.

So yeah, all in all, I think that people need to have this "connection" that they have to make between their morals and the food they eat. This, I believe, is strongest bridge between a person and their decision to go vegan. You can argue with health reasons, by saying that there are people who thrive on a non-vegan diet. You can argue with environmental reasons by saying there are other sources of causes of climate change, even though animal agriculture is a great contributor.

But I think you can't argue with morality. The life of a sentient being. And if you can still argue, then.... Perhaps you have not made this connection. But don't worry, you can, and one day you hopefully will.

No comments: