Thursday 8 October 2020

The Social Dilemma

Credit: Screengrab from Netflix


Time for the first documentary discussion series in this Blogtober - beginning with The Social Dilemma.

The Social Dilemma is a documentary in Netflix talking about the dark side of social media. From the addiction, mental health, conspiracy theorist aspects of social media. It's quite a terrifying thought to have, after watching the documentary. But somehow I'm not surprised, I've been seeing such trends in social media. And sad to say this but I agree with the documentary. But, we're still in control I believe!

One of the most striking quotes that I get from the documentary is:

"If you're not paying for the product, you are the product".

I've heard of this quote before once, a few years ago. I think back in 2017 there was a video circulating on Facebook about this issue. How we're actually "in the matrix". How the founders and owners of these social media platforms are "using us" and thus, we are the product. And also how they are selling our data for their profits, and thus we are the product in a sense. This is frightening but hey, it is also reality. There is a good but sinister reason why we are all using social media for free.

"But they have ads! And we're seeing them! So it's not so free isn't it?". Well this is exactly why we are the products. The ads are targeting and luring us to dig deeper and further into the social media platform. Like they say, down the YouTube hole. We are constantly bombarded with recommendations, and ads and so on that it seems these platforms are making it harder for us to leave the platform.

Also not forgetting the negative aspect of being "social" - the mental health side. How we're always comparing our lives and others. How we're always obsessed with likes and fame. And so on. I used to think that this applies to everyone. But as time goes by, I feel like this boils down to the different individuals. Cause not everyone is obsessed with this. Yes, social media has made it somehow easier to fall into this hole but at the end of the day, we can also choose not to go in.

I have this belief that we should use social media, and not let social media use you. It sounds very cliche I know but it is possible. 7 years ago, I always thought that social media is a useful tool for me to keep in touch with my friends, since we're located 1000km away from each other. But now... Not really. I still keep in touch with a handful of friends, and I do this via WhatsApp or DMs on Instagram. I think we we grow older, I see a trend that we don't share our lives occasionally on social media.

So what do I use social media for then? I still use Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Not gonna lie, I generally use my social media to keep myself updated with my favourite bands/musicians. New songs, new albums, tour dates and so on. This is spread across my social media but focused mainly on Facebook. I use Twitter for news, I follow lots of news account there haha. As for Instagram, I would say it's the "last" platform that I use properly - because I still like to post photos haha.

If I were to quit social media, I will definitely quit Instagram last. In fact I am now rarely active on Facebook. I'm most active on IG actually. And I'm not like always active there either. I do post on stories but not everyday, only when there are things worth sharing heh. I'm still kind of active on Twitter but it's mostly reading up news and also the occasional rants here and there oops.

Back to the documentary - am I experiencing what I watched on the documentary? Yes. But because of how I use my social media, their "targets" for me are actually pretty harmless HAHA. For example, the ads I receive on FB and IG are mostly about - music, vegan pages/food and the occasional "wellness" products like candles and so on. Also cause of the algorithm and so on, my Tokopedia searches always appear on FB. I've never really experienced receiving "polarising" ads and so on.

Also I always have the habit of researching news to see whether it's fake or not.

And also with the recent decision of mine to make all of my social media private, somehow life becomes more... Peaceful? For me. Not sure if that's the right word to use. But yeah, I'm just sharing my posts on people that I know. Friends and family, and sometimes some people I met online, or people who share the same ideas and fanbase as me (like fellow band fans and so on).

So yeah the bottom line is that... Whatever the Social Dilemma is showing isn't false. We are in that "matrix". And we are experiencing it. But then again I believe it all boils down to how we use social media. And how we control ourselves. How we not let ourselves be lured by the illusion of the digital life that other people share online, or that these platforms "lure" us into.

Of course sadly not everyone has a mind as flexible as this. Most people are zoomed into the matrix that they find it hard to get themselves out. Lots of people are blaming it on the platforms for letting this happen. But then again like the documentary says, these platforms are a business afterall. They don't wanna lost customers do they. I think parents play a huge role on this, and also each and everyone on us. Perhaps we can educate and help one another not to get stuck in the matrix!

Alright that's all from me in this first Docu Discussion. I think we should call this segment that. Docussion? Sounds good? Haha. I hope you give the documentary a watch and let yourself ponder about it! Do you agree with the documentary? Are you part of it? See you in the next Docussion!

No comments: