Sunday 4 October 2020

Swill


It's Sunday night and let's talk about Jonsi's new album after 10 years - Shiver!

This is one of the most anticipated albums of 2020 for me. When I first learned about it last year in a Jonsi interview that he was going to release an album, I was so excited for it! And when he first released the first single "Exhale" earlier this year, I was pretty stoked for it, the news is true mwahaha. Although I thought to myself that this new album will have a completely different sound from his debut.

And yup it is a completely different sound. Although I have to say I am able to listen to all of his elements in this album. And along with Sigur Ros' and Jonsi & Alex too.

Jonsi's debut "Go" is definitely one my favourite albums in life. I love its bright, hopeful and colourful sounds, and I still love listening to it. It gives me joy, and it makes me feel alive. The new album sounds different. It's more... Dark yet intimate. Choppy yet cohesive. Perhaps I don't quite enjoy it as much as "Go" because I couldn't really connect myself with Shiver. But nevertheless, it's a fantastic album.

I feel like Jonsi wrote "Go" for all of us, but he writes "Shiver" for himself? I think this sense of intimacy and how deeply personal the album covers the difference is sounds? I hope I make sense.

My favourite from the album so far is Swill, Exhale, Salty Licorice and Korall. 

I don't know if Jonsi/Sigur Ros will release new materials in the future. With the state of the band, I was kinda apprehensive about getting new music from them. So when Jonsi announced the new album I was happy and relieved. I surely hope that we'll still hear more music from them though.

Alright that's all for the post this Sunday. Please go and listen to Shiver!

No comments: