Thursday 22 October 2020

Maze Runner

Alright back here again with a movie review! Not exactly a review but yes, another discussion. This time round it's not a documentary but a trilogy, The Maze Runner (TMR) series! Ever since I got Netflix, The Maze Runner was somehow the first movie that shows up in the house page heh. And since I haven't watched the movie, I decided to watch it. And I finished the series in three days haha. The first movie was released in 2014 so that's when I was already back home, and thus no cinema, yep.

A few of my friends recommended me to watch the movie when I was talking about The Hunger Games series. And well I'm 6 years late to the part but here I am anyway haha. They also recommended me to read the books and I might do that. Or I might just read the prequels.

Anyway I think TMR is a great and exciting trilogy. Lots of heart-pumping actions, lots of sad scenes, lots of gruesome scenes. But perhaps watching Game of Thrones the past few years have prepared me for them. Losing my favourite characters and all the gruesome scenes haha. I won't talk much about the plot but there's a theme that I really love about the whole series, especially the first movie.

I might be looking well too deep into the story but I think the theme of "we're here for a reason" resonates loudly inside the movie. Somehow every action we do will lead us to a place, an action, a reason and so on. We might not know what but one day we'll understand. One of the exciting things about TMR is the idea that the series is divided into three parts and we're just left hanging with every series. Not much of a cliffhanger because somehow, I'm just drawn into the next, and the next.

The movie started with Thomas, a boy whose memory has been wiped, landing in a mysterious place he doesn't know of. And then it develops slowly with him slowly regaining his memories, then the arrival of Teresa and him solving the maze and so on. Somehow I feel like this is a depiction of our lives? We may not know where we are now, and why we are here. But slowly day after day we will learn why. 

Then in The Scorch Trials, how he met Aris and how Aris somehow puts trust in Thomas, which leads them leaving the WCKD compound and then meeting the Right Arm. Initially when I first watched the movie I kept on asking myself how will the story turn out, what will happen, and so on. But as I go along the way, everything patches up nicely! Somehow a serendipitous reminder that every character is put for a reason, and every character went through something, for a reason.

And suddenly I'm reminded by life itself. How the things that we go through may sometimes don't make sense to us. But eventually, I think we will understand. And we will also understand why we meet with a certain group of people, and their purpose of crossing paths with us. 

Okay I might be reading too deep into the line but yeah. I hope you get what I mean. I feel like TMR has done a great job in this aspect. The story unfolds so crazily wonderful, that I didn't even think of it. But what I find most beautiful in the story is this feeling of how everything patches up nicely!

Alright that's all from me in this 3rd Movie discussion. Mocussion? Haha. I will come back with more discussions. Just finished another book and I think I'll talk about it soon. See ya!

No comments: