Monday 26 October 2020

In Love With The World


Hello again! Writing today with another Book Discussion, this time round with this wonderful book by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche titled "In Love With The World". This is a book telling the story of Rinpoche's experience of wandering retreat, and how he almost died during this retreat. This books tells about that part and it's really quite an enlightening book. From a Buddhist monk, where impermanence is the core teaching in Buddhism, to experience life and death first-hand, is something quite endearing.

I think for non-Buddhists this book might be a bit tough with the Buddhist terms, but don't worry, they are explained in the book. In fact even me as a Buddhist learn a lot from this book too!

Personally I enjoy this book a lot because it taught me a lot about emptiness. And the 2nd principle of existence in Buddhism - Anatta, or non-self. To me this principle is the hardest to understand, and most difficult to practise, simply because it involves the dissolution of our own ego. The name says itself, non-self. But this book taught me deeper into it, and I kinda understand it better now.

It's kinda hard to explain this book, you have to read it for yourself I think. Cause it really talks about our "self" and its empty nature. I think you gotta experience it yourself! With almost every page turn in the book, you will learn something rather mind-blowing and enlightening. So please do read!

I will end this post with my favourite quote from the book. And most enlightening too:

"That’s the way suffering always works – our misperceptions turn us into targets. In Tai chi, for a martial arts master, the opponent’s blow has no place to land. The same is true with a master of the mind. The more rigid our sense of self, the more surface we provide for the arrows to hit. Who is receiving these arrows? Who is offended by these loud noises? You asked for this!" 

"The more rigid our sense of self, the more surface we provide for the arrows to hit" This line hits my heart like an arrow hahaha. My ego has been attacked! Hjalp!

No comments: