Saturday 10 October 2020

Happy World Mental Health Day!

Today is the 10th of October which means it's World Mental Health Day! So happy WMHD everyone, if you are struggling I do hope that you stay strong, and that you seek help. Talk to someone about it, I know it's hard but trust me it will help you a lot. I'm glad however that as time goes by, the issue about mental health is getting more light. In social media and mainstream media too. 

But sadly the stigma is still there. And that's why people are still finding it difficult to open up and talk about their mental health issues. Sadly it's kind of worst here in Indonesia and perhaps Asia in general. Having a mental health issue is deemed as being weak. And no you cannot be weak. Apparently.

2020 is by far probably the most challenging year I've ever went through. I struggled a lot mentally but somehow in the midst of this struggle, I learned the beautiful art of letting go. Somehow, I found peace in knowing that there isn't much I can do. Perhaps this is what mindfulness is like? Being aware of your actions and your thoughts. And just giving your best to the things that you can do.

I've always been very fascinated with the human mind. The way it works is just pretty mysterious yet amazing. The emotions we feel, the struggles we go through, how do we get here? Why do we get here? So many questions that even the most talented neuroscientist may not be able to answer. Some people believe mental health issue is an issue of chemical imbalance. Sure, we can get treatment for this imbalance but I think we should also ask what causes this imbalance?

I think the human mind goes much more complex than just chemistry. It revolves around everything we do, we think, we feel, and the way we treat and "interact" with our minds. 

Well I am still on track to search for the answer. To explore the human mind, and ultimately to train my own mind too. My goal is to reach that level of mindfulness where nothing can hurt me anymore. And where I'm not easily tempted by pleasures, and be hungry for it. The daily meditation is helping a lot. And I will continue to practise it till I die. Or like the Buddha, till I reach enlightenment.

Not in this life, probably, most obviously.

Alright that's all from me today. Wishing everyone a happy WMHD once again. Seek help if you can and talk it out with someone else alright. May you be granted with strength and serendipity.

And remember, nothing is permanent in this life. It's always darkest before the dawn.

No comments: