Sunday 9 October 2022

Ginger Bug Adventure

With the ginger bug, you can actually make a lot of drinks and experiment with it! I did read up online about the kind of drinks you can make with it. So here are a few drinks that I made with my ginger bug, my rating and also my thoughts about it. And some additional info about this whole experience!

Also sorry no photos, I'm too lazy to upload them one by one here haha.

#1 - Kunyit Asem and Jahe Merah + Ginger bug
This is actually an Indonesian traditional drink. Kunyit asem is a turmeric and tamarind drink, and jahe merah is... Red ginger? It's a ginger and brown sugar drink. So I ordered them from someone in my hometown and then added my ginger bug in them. According to my ginger beer recipe. Taste wise, it's 8/10 but fermentation wise... It's 4/10. By the 4th day, there's some Kahm's yeast growing on top of the turmeric beer haha. Not sure if it's Kahm's yeast or... Mould. But I'm still alive so all's good.

I did read once, I think, that there's more yeast in turmeric and tamarind. And also they use gula Jawa, or Javanese brown sugar. The sugar is usually wrapped in banana leaves/hang outside. So I think they might carry more yeast too. So yeah that should explain the extra growth hah. As for the ginger drink, I think I over-ferment it to an extent that it becomes sour. Almost taste like kombucha!

#2 - Naturally carbonated fruit sodas
This is very easy to make and also the best tasting ones haha, rating it 10/10! I just bought some store-bought fruit juices. I chose apple and blueberry juice. And then used the same recipe. It tastes really good and refreshing! However somehow it took longer for it to ferment and to fizz. Also do take note you can't use juices with weird preservative names. Like sodium ascorbate etc. And it might hamper with the yeast growth during the fermentation. Mine was safe I guess.

#3 - Pineapple Juice
This is kind of a success and fail. It does fizz, but I think I once again over-ferment it as it turns into a sour drink. It's so sour that once again, it almost tastes like pineapple cider haha. I might give it more sugar in the future. Giving this a rating of 7/10.

Okay there are a few additions that I did in making these drinks. I added extra sugar, as I don't want the yeast to eat up all the sugar of the original drink. The sugar will help to boost fermentation I suppose.

There are also times where I failed in making some drinks. For example I made some last month in September, and I actually made 4 bottles as I was planning to give it to my cousins to try. However, it didn't fizz in time for Mid-Autumn prayers :/ In fact I was fermenting it for almost 10 days but there's very little fizz. Upon some investigation, I come up with two conclusions.

I think weather plays a huge role. During this time it was raining everyday, and the temperature was colder than usual. So it might take longer for the ginger beer to ferment. Secondly, I think I used too many ginger. As mentioned in the previous post, I didn't use exact measurements heh. I added more ginger than usual as I was thinking that I'm going to need more for 4 bottles of ginger beer. But alas, ginger has some anti-fungal properties. So... Perhaps I might kill some yeast in the drink heh.

It's been a fun ride and adventure so far, making my own drinks! Somehow it feels more rewarding to make your own stuff haha. And cheaper too. Yes it takes a lot of time. But it's worth it I guess. Usually I will start making my ginger bug on Saturday/Sunday. And then I'll make the drinks on Wednesday, let it ferment until Saturday/Sunday again, and enjoy it for the week. I read up online that it's good to drink these fermented drink after you wake up on an empty stomach. And I've been doing that!

Well I don't feel any major difference, but my gut bacteria sure will! Also one observation I find is... I have less pimples on my face somehow. I'm not sure if this has something to do with this habit.

Alright that's all from me, for this ginger beer adventure! I will update you if I make more new drinks!

No comments: