Wednesday 26 October 2022

Stoic

I think Stoicism is a great philosophy and definitely a way of life. I came across Stoicism a few years ago through Instagram. There are a lot of those quote and philosophy pages on IG and lot of them post about Stoicism. There are quotes by Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and so on. That's when I decided to get myself M. Aurelius' Meditations. Which is a fantastic book everyone should read!

Stoicism really teaches us how to live. I think the main core of the teaching is to really focus on the things we can control. And to really look at things in a practical and realist point of view. To me Stoicism feels like a handbook or a guidebook for a realist. It is a way to learn about how to live a more peaceful life? But the thing is I learned that it is difficult but not impossible hah.

I see a lot of mirroring and reflection between Stoicism and Buddhism. This is why I love the teachings. It's like I can see Stoicism in Buddhism and vice versa. 

In one way I feel like learning more about Stoicism has taught me how to become calmer and more peaceful and more practical. I think both Buddhism and Stoicism has a common enemy and that's our ego. But I don't think there's a specific word for ego in Stoicism. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Even the core philosophy of memento mori and amor fati is in line with Buddhism's Anicca (Impermanence) and Anatta (Non-self). That everything is impermament, and everything is marked with emptiness. There is a book about the similarities between Buddhism and and Stoicism and I think I should read that! There are a lot of videos discussing about Stoicism on YouTube too.

Alright I guess that's all for now. I think I need to really sit down and plan on what to write about Stoicism, if I want to write it well. Currently I'm just blabbering hah.

No comments: