Tuesday 11 October 2022

Pasta!

As a vegan, pasta is a staple for all of us. I mean most of it is vegan, especially the dry ones. And it is also very easy to cook! Most of the vegan pasta recipes out there are cream-based ones or tomato based ones. Personally I don't like them as I prefer pasta that's light. Like Aglio e olio! Which is a vegan cult-classic, and it's a dish I always cook, especially when there's no food at home.


Aglio e Olio

You just need garlic, chili flakes, salt, pepper. And recently I discover adding herbs and spices helps to elevate the dish too. Not sure if this is a secret anymore but please add some pasta water. Also this is a random fact but back last month I found 3 packs of spaghetti that were expiring at the end of September. So I did the right thing to do. I made Aglio e Olio once a week hahaha.

Vodka, cream, tomato paste

Back for my birthday my sister bought me... A vodka tower for my present. I couldn't possibly finish everything and when I think of other uses for vodka... I can only think of one thing: Penne alla Vodka! Well I didn't have penne back then so I used fusilli instead. Very easy recipe too, I search them on YouTube. Stir fry some onion in olive oil, add a bit of vodka, burn off the alcohol, add tomato paste and mix in the cream (I used soy cream). Add seasoning and voila!

Fusilli Alla Vodka I guess

If you like it spicy you can add some chili flakes into the tomato paste too. It's quite nice and heaty. Before eating I top it off with some nooch AKA nutritional yeast. Since I can't eat cheese. Overall I think it's a hearty dish and it just warms your heart! In the beginning I don't really know what's the purpose of the vodka for heh. So I did make an experiment where I made another batch but using the pasta water only, instead of vodka. And I discovered the difference!

I find that the original recipe with vodka tastes more creamy. Like the sauce is more luscious and thick and yum. The one with pasta water tastes very... "Empty". That's one way to put it.

Well alright that's all for today's post. I hope you can give this recipe a try <3

No comments: