Thursday 6 October 2022

Rain

It's been raining crazily this past few weeks. It's always a sunny noon, followed by a medium-heavy rain in the afternoon/evening time. The weather has been rather erratic this year. I was reading last year that we're going to face El Nino this year but nope. In fact I think 2022 has been one of the wettest year in recent years. If we're already entering the rainy season back in September, then... This is the year with the shortest dry period ever. I guess climate change is real huh.

I'm not mad at the wet weather. Wet weather would mean that the farmers will be able to plant, as they don't have to worry about not having enough water for their crops. But at the same time this would give a snowball effect where we'll have an abundant supply of vegetables, which will result in prices crashing. Just 2 weeks ago, we were harvesting chilies at a great price. Now, it crashed by 70%!

You know I often feel... Sad and weirded out. How in the past people would plant according to the seasons. They know when, and what to plant. But now I think this is getting more and more impossible. The weather is getting pretty much unpredictable and sometimes, catastrophic. We have flash floods, and extreme winds and so on. So sometimes I wonder if we're ready to face the future?

I read an article once where it says that in 2050, the earth will not have any arable land anymore. This is if we fail to thwart the destructive forces of climate change. I wonder, how are we going to face the future? Will there be enough food for everyone? How are we going to grow enough food?

While innovations are growing each year, with technologies such as urban farming, and high-tech farming (where we can grow crops in the desert etc), the next question I'm pondering is if we'll be quick enough to adapt to these measures. Or are we just going to leave many people behind.

The future looks bleak but... I have hopes.

No comments: