Saturday 15 October 2022

OMAD

Okay this is not really food related but more of diet related. I don't think I've talked about this in my blog before so here goes! So one new habit that I adapted in 2022 is... Okay you can call it intermittent fasting, 2MAD or more. But okay here goes the story.

Back in March, I was so shocked to find out that I am 97kg! Yes, 3 more kg to a hundred haha. Okay well it was quite my fault. Back in February-March I was cooking a lot. And trying lots of different recipes that involve... Noodles. I also ate lots of junk food haha. I didn't exercise a lot back then, I was just doing light weight exercises haha. So it was no wonder that I gained that much weight (from 92 kg).

I also happen to chance upon some articles on Intermittent Fasting (IF) and also... The OMAD diet, AKA One Meal A Day diet. Basically the rule is simple, you just eat one meal every 24 hours. I decided to give it a try in April! Happened to coincide with the Muslim fasting month of Ramadhan too so it's a good time I guess. I chose dinner for my meal. So I don't eat breakfast and lunch. Basically no calories enter my body in 24 hours. I do drink tea and water, and also take my vitamins.

Okay the first three days were really tough. First day was okay, I think it's the excitement/adrenaline. On the 2nd and 3rd day the temptation started kicking in haha.. In the evening/late afternoon my mouth has been "itching" to eat something. A snack, a cracker, and so on. But I pushed on. By the first week I actually lost 2kg. Pretty happy with the result. So I continued on.

2nd week was... Tougher! Hahaha. But I already got used to it so it wasn't that bad. By the end of the 2nd week I lost another 2kg. I was 94 back then so I tried to kick some slack on the 3rd week. I changed my diet to OMOSAD. One Meal One Snack A Day diet HAHAHA. At 5-6 PM ish I gave myself some snack. Back then I chose healthy snacks to munch on like nuts, or sometimes I'll just eat some tofu and tempe haha. Basically some small bites to feed my "mouth itchiness". 

By the 4th week I still stick to this plan. And in total I lost.... 7 kg in the end! But my weight floats on 90-91kg ish. And after April, I decided to adapt a 2MAD diet. 2 Meals A Day. Usually I skip breakfast. So I will fast for about 18 hours before my next meal. And it's been.... 6 months now? I still maintain my weight. Okay I do have to admit I need to exercise more. As now my weight has plateaued. The key is calorie deficit. And my body is definitely not doing that now.

Okay I'm not a dietary expert so I do not recommend this to everyone. If you want to give it a try, please do consider your daily activities, your food intake and so on. Don't just do it blindly! 

To me the most incredible lesson I learned from this experience is just that.. I am amazed by the human body. Like as a foodie, I didn't know I can survive for a month on one meal a day. I guess it's the power of the human body. It's also the power of the human mind. You just gotta push. 

For now I do 2MAD and also one OMAD day a week. I read that it's actually good to fast once in a while. So sometimes I would do OMAD in one day of the week. Usually it's Saturday for me. Or just a random weekday. I might also consider doing one full OMAD month every Ramadhan. 

Alright I guess that's all from me now! If you want you can give this a try :D

No comments: