Monday 14 October 2019

Death and All His Friends

Today was a sad day. Someone I know for a long time, and a prominent figure in the temple has passed away. And everything unfolded rather quickly so yeah, it was quite a sad news to wake up to.

Actually I spent the whole of Sunday night at the hospital accompanying him and his wife. It was a really sudden news because earlier on Sunday afternoon, my dad actually called him and asked him to meet him on Monday to talk about treatment plans. And at 11 PM, his wife contacted my sister telling her that they're both at the hospital. So I decided to meet them at the hospital.

Long story short, he's suffering from renal failure. And seeing his blood test results I am in deep shock. How can he still lead his everyday life with such results is beyond my understanding on the human body. Cause his wife told me that in the past week he was still going on about his normal routine. With such states he would have been unconscious in my opinion... 

We were just waiting for his blood pressure, SpO2 level and blood acidity level to return to acceptable levels after medications were given to him, so that he can safely go for haemodialysis. At 3 AM his blood pressure went to safe levels so we were just waiting to see if it will stay stable. But at 4 AM his blood pressure rises again, and his SpO2 level decreased again.

Waited again till 7 AM and his blood pressure went back to safe level again. We were also waiting for his blood to be checked by the blood bank for transfusion as his Hb level was low. And also waiting from the haemodialysis department for the green light. His wife's sister came and I decided to go back home since there's someone else accompanying her then.

At 8:30 his wife messaged me saying that he's going for haemodialysis soon so I was quite relieved and went to sleep. And when I woke up later in the afternoon.... I received the bad news. It turned out that his blood pressure went up again and thus he couldn't go for haemodialysis.

Tinge of guilt hit me, wishing I was there to accompany him and his wife. And to be honest it was really tough to see him suffer. Because of his renal failure, he was having lung oedema (where the lungs is filled with water, because the kidneys couldn't get rid of it). So he was suffocating and having difficulty breathing. I swear seeing him telling me that it's difficult for him to breathe was really tough. Because I know he was conscious. It was really tough. I wish I no one would experience it.

When my late aunt and grandma passed away, they were unconscious. So even though it looks like they were "struggling", their brain has "switched off" and they didn't really know what was happening to them. But this time round it was different. He was awake, he was aware.

He is a prominent figure in the temple, and probably the Buddhist community of my hometown. So I think we have lost quite a figure. And my family and I have known him since I was young. He used to fetch my sister, cousins and I for Sunday school and send us home). And he used to coordinate with me when the temple needs flowers for events or prayers, of if there's anything else we can help.

We'll miss him for sure.

Selamat Jalan Pa Bambang. Thank you for everything that you have done for the Buddhist community of Sukabumi. I will never forget them. Sorry that I couldn't do much last night. Rest easy and may you cross the other shore. Condolences to his family. Take care everyone.

Sabbe Sankhara Anicca

No comments: