Friday 18 October 2019

No Time?

As much as I have a love-hate relationship with time, I cannot imagine life without time existing.

There are days where I wish time would fly faster, and there are days where I wish it could slow down. But I can never imagine a life where it simply doesn't exist! Haha. Well time itself is a mystery isn't it. I don't really understand the concept of time in physics form. It is very very complex.

I think there were a few occurrences where I was "forced" to not know the time. I think it was during CLS FO Camp in 2011 where I came back as a photographer. It was night walk time and I had to walk along the stations to take some photos (and I was also a game master). My phone battery died so and I have no clock with me (except for my camera, but that's kinda troublesome isn't it). So I spent the night walking along the stations, and then I realised that the sky turned bright and boom. It was like 6:30 AM. I did ask some other GMs for time just to check. But most of the time, I wasn't.

And then the next one was during my flight from LA to Taiwan when I went to the Us in 2012. It was like a 12 hour flight or something and yeah because I was heavily jetlagged, I didn't bother checking the time heh. Except for the "time to destination" part where I checked how long more hah.

There were many times when I would do stuff and without realising the time, n-hour has passed. Then I would panic and like wow where did time go! But there were also times where I realised how slow time seems to fly and I'm like dear time can you pass faster please haha. Humans...

Anyway the reason why I can't imagine life without time is that... Time gives us a sense of completion. It reminds us that we are finite, and that everything is impermanent. With this knowledge we are able to do things well and to complete things and so on. Just like deadlines, they push us to achieve things. So if you imagine if there's no time, how can we actually accomplish these things? 

If there's no time we might take forever to do things. And at the same time we might also rush things and not do them properly. Or realised that we could have done things in a better way.

Also this reminds me of a quote from "The Timekeeper" by Mitch Albom:

"Man alone chimes the hour. And because of this, man alone suffers a paralysing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out."

I think the key here is not to fear that time is running out, but to be aware that time WILL run out. So you better do your shit mindfully and properly hahaha. But yeah. I've always find it intriguing that we "create" time by inventing clocks, calendars and measuring units and so on. But we are unable to live life to the fullest by fearing that we are running out of time. 

Lets not put the blame on time but ourselves though.

Okay that's all for today's post. This is a random thought that crossed my mind a few days ago heh.

No comments: